Looking to add a pro ~70 cc saw to the fold so that my son and I can both run saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robpm

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to add an additional saw to the fold and I am looking at a professional ~70 cc saw. One like my 1997 Stihl 044. I have been looking at the Echo brand, or the Dolmar/Makita brands. I have read that they are good saws. My Stihl have been good saws but what I have read over the past couple of years they have not been as good with all the newfangled electronic ignitions etc. Maybe that is really not a problem but some of you may know better than me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am looking to add an additional saw to the fold and I am looking at a professional ~70 cc saw. One like my 1997 Stihl 044. I have been looking at the Echo brand, or the Dolmar/Makita brands. I have read that they are good saws. My Stihl have been good saws but what I have read over the past couple of years they have not been as good with all the newfangled electronic ignitions etc. Maybe that is really not a problem but some of you may know better than me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I'd say the 462 as it's lighter than the other offerings and very similar to what you've been running, with a bit more power and better fuel economy. You'd also be able to use any stihl bars you have around.
The biggest down side of the 462 to me I'd those dang stihl flippy caps, but there's plenty of guys who've never used a husky flippy cap to know any better 😆.

I know you said you are looking for a 70cc, but consider the Echo 620p. For the price you are getting a lot of saw, and a quality one at that. I am impressed with mine already and I have only had it for a little over a month. It definitely needs some tweaking on the tune right out of the box but that is easy enough.

I would not be afraid to sink it into anything that I have ever had my grandpas old slant fin 044 in.

I did almost the same thing, I gave my son the ms261 and bought myself an ms400. It screams in my opinion, I use a lite 20” bar and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I’ve never tried or really needed a 25” bar so I can’t comment on that part. But I can tell you that after installing a muffler cover (west coast style) and removing the base gasket that the saw is strong.

I finally picked up an Echo 7310 a couple days ago and it exceeded my expectations right away, strong recommendation for it. Best I can relate it to, is the old XR Honda big bore bikes that just beat everything with that amazing torque and simplicity. You can find them in the $800-900 range on dealer days, too. Seems at home with a 28" bar but I wouldn't go bigger, it's the sweet spot for this saw.

Attachments

• IMG_4213.PNG
    IMG_4213.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I know you said you are looking for a 70cc, but consider the Echo 620p. For the price you are getting a lot of saw, and a quality one at that. I am impressed with mine already and I have only had it for a little over a month. It definitely needs some tweaking on the tune right out of the box but that is easy enough.

I would not be afraid to sink it into anything that I have ever had my grandpas old slant fin 044 in.
+1, if you want to avoid the electronic versions, the 620 is worth a look. She's a 60cc, and the biggest I've ever had, so I can't say from experience how it compares to the 70cc lineup. I've been using a 28" bar on it with full chain and it works fine for my non-professional needs. A heavy hitter might want more.

I have a 562XP, 372XP and a 572XP. Here is my take.
The 562 gets used on smaller wood cutting tasks. Runs great, has plenty of power for a 60CC. Very happy with the saw.
The 372 and 572 differ from each other. I like the autotune on the 572 as sometimes I am cutting at 11,000 ft and sometimes it is at 5500 ft. Works the same in all instances. Has more low end grunt than the 372. The 372 has been worked on by Mastermind and it is a screamer. An efficient cutting machine. When we cut I let my son use the 572 and I use the 372. If I had one 70cc saw I would have to keep the 572 with the auto tune as there is less variation with the types of cutting that I do.

Latest posts

Back