Asplundh bucket trucks, that bad ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buddy bought a 1999 international diesel from smittys 2 weeks later had to put 5 grand in the motor. it had a 466D in it. i forget what was wrong but the block ended up having a crack in it allowing water to get in the oil. wich ended up burning up all kinds of stuff. needless to say the paint looked nice?

Not to come off like a prick, but be careful buying ANY major company equpiment. They go through a ton of help and a-lot of them don't give a crap about the company's stuff. Not to say some don't but you can get into MAJOR expenses when buying "fleet" equpment..

buddy bought a 1999 international diesel from smittys 2 weeks later had to put 5 grand in the motor. it had a 466D in it. i forget what was wrong but the block ended up having a crack in it allowing water to get in the oil. wich ended up burning up all kinds of stuff. needless to say the paint looked nice?

I actually tried to do some business with that guy and the main thing about him is he doesn't warranty anything for anything and he gets puffed up if you try to micro-analyze his definition of "reconditioned." I would have to say though, those old cheap orange trucks are probably about as good from him as anybody. Lots of places sell them and you can pay about what you want to for them depending on the dealer. Yes, I have bought them before and all of them have pretty much "had it" when you get them.

454 Asplundh Truck

My truck was formerly an asplundh unit. Had it a little over a year now with no major issues, (Knock on wood). We take good care of it and it was went through before I got it. Drove it home 4 hours from PA with no problems. Its a dog but thats what I expected...... Mike

I actually tried to do some business with that guy and the main thing about him is he doesn't warranty anything for anything and he gets puffed up if you try to micro-analyze his definition of "reconditioned." I would have to say though, those old cheap orange trucks are probably about as good from him as anybody. Lots of places sell them and you can pay about what you want to for them depending on the dealer. Yes, I have bought them before and all of them have pretty much "had it" when you get them.

exactly i would rather buy one that hasnt been all painted up and recontioned so call it? trust me thies companies are very good at covering stuff up. i dont wanna say that about all of them but i also dont like seeing people get screwed out of thier hard earned money on a pile.

when i worked for bartlett those bucket trucks we used where freakin beat man they where 2006+ internationals i wouldnt give you 20g's for one the way the booms where used.

inexperience operators swing logs into them and stuff.

i was gonna buy a reconditioned truck but the fear of mechanical problems drove me to new. and i baby my truck my boom barly has a scratch on it.

bartlett truck the booms where brown from being smashed into trees.

PAINT can make anything look sweet.

Last edited:
I guess, after reading some of these post, that I was lucky when I went to Schmidtys, I didn't like the guys, but didnt need too, I too picked up on the puffiness, I was pointing out this and that, Also, called back to get some info on the Manuals, no help.They are not interested in that. I think they are all like that, they are not tree guys,but again, used car salesmen.That why I didn't want a painted one, I do have the cool simulators tho! They shiny!

Ask them for the boom to have a certified inspection done if that's your only concern. I worked a brand new 94 topkick bucket in 94 they were not bad but to me high ranger is way more durable.

Is the tranny different from a 366 to a 454 or the 427 in these trucks ? Oh I'm sorry a 97 gmc 7500...

I'm pretty sure all chevy (gas) v8 blocks have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing, big block, tall deck big block, and even small block.. one of the many joys of being a chevy guy, that sadly, ford people will never know. :)

Realistically I still have to spend about 10k on my truck to get it to where I was duped into thinking it was at when I bought it..

Its been a while now, but I wish Clinton Ill. was a bit closer. I wouldn't mind playing some drive by frisbee with their office windows. lol.

I know that feeling.

10 yrs ago I would have said that dirty deeds done dirt cheap and I'm less than an hour away, but vengeance doesn't suit me too well anymore. I just end up feeling lesser for it and sorry for the poor pathetic victim of my wrath and fury. But it sure feels good for a moment....too good. I mostly chose bodily harm in these situations and knew well that all was fair. It was a rare occurrence, as I never went looking to start fights. The old man and martial artists taught me to finish them instead and I suppose this is where I justified my reprisals for awhile.

I didn't mess with anyone's ride, but not above something like painting "Lemonade Stand" or "Fresh Lemons! 1,500,000 cents and up!" across the front of such a place as this. Which might be a fitting weekly reprise for this gonzo.

He likes JJ Kane auctions, but you didn't here that from me. ;)

I'm pretty sure all chevy (gas) v8 blocks have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing, big block, tall deck big block, and even small block.. one of the many joys of being a chevy guy, that sadly, ford people will never know. :)

Lmfao thats because us ford guys don't have to change our motors every other oil change:hmm3grin2orange: PS: my 66 still has the original FE big block you know the one that always pulled them chevy's outs the mud lol.

I currently work for asplundh now and have used and ran their equipment. I can say this, they don't get the maintance they deserve because its all about production with utility work. they get worked every day and maintained little. We get a yearly bucket inspection and oil changed every 3000. Everything else we maintain ourselves....fuel pump, alt, starter anything we can fix we do. these trucks arn't that bad, they will run 65 on the interstate and these trucks are always traveling long distances for storm work, sometimes driving 16 hours straight. I definitly would not hesitate to buy one of them. All of our trucks are 02' and higher and they oldest truck has 49000 miles on it. For that money you should be able to get a sweet bucket. good luck

Latest posts

Back