Asplundh model year and radiator dimensions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipWhisperer

Reaction score
View attachment 271452

Hi, my first post here..

Model Year Question
I'm about to buy an older Asplundh Whisper chipper (see pic). I'd like to know its model year. The only identifying marking on the chipper was a plate on its discharge chute that says "Asplundh" and "Patent Pending: C1761R4F". Altec's parts division has not been able determine the year based on that information. It looks to be early 1970s, maybe older. What looks like its original fading paint is a blue color similar to new pre-washed bluejeans.

Radiator Dimensions Question
I looked at and tested it briefly because the radiator leaked badly. I forgot to measure it while I was there and its owner is now out of town for two weeks. Does anyone know if it has a standard Ford 300 inline-6 radiator or did Asplundh use a custom size? The PDF of the owner manual does not list it's size or part number. If someone knows the height and width of the radiator I'd appreciate. A new Ford 300 radiator from my trusted local shop is $300, whereas Altec's parts associate EDI wants $800.

Thanks in advance.

radiator info

That one is early 1980's or older. You don't really need to now any more then that. The radiators do very a bit on those so your best bet will be to rebuild the old one. $300 is a great price for a new one.
Here's a parts list for it:
View attachment 271682

Latest posts

Back