ATOP Racing Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Tricky!

Originally posted by Crofter
Mike do you bend the raker out of the way temporarily when you make the inside side plate angle or do you use backslope instead of hook on the sideplate?

Frank

I cut the file down so it's small enough to fit inbetween the raker and the sideplate. It becomes a square file with teeth on only three sides.

Dennis, I thought the file they were talking about had to be a goofy because a sharp cornered file would leave a notch in the corner radius of a semi chisel tooth. They did say it would work on either. Baileys have them in US but the canadian online site does not accept the part # for the goofy. I ordered it by written order and I got a 5/32 rd file instead and so far I havent botherd again since it was only a whim.

Frank

Dennise C, why do you think you know so much? you cut everybody down, and you talk like you have built the best chain and that nobody else could doit like you, i think the guy's filling thing will be better than what you could do by hand.. Leo

Here we are with three pages of comments and nothing much accomplished to deal with the original question of square filing .325 chain.
I have the .325 filing jigs and the files but they are not on a web site yet. I think that anyone that wants to know more should phone me at 1-888-661-3155 Pacific Time Zone Monday through Friday. I will be glad to explain what the results of our testing are. Your best chisel filed .325 chain will not cut any faster than a chain filed with the jig.
Mike

I tried square filing a .325 chain, with a file, not a grinder, and cut way into the tie straps....no good, eh? how is the goofy file held, at less of an angle?

I talked to Goran yesterday and ordered a ATOP guide + some files; I'm getting my tuned 346XP this week - will try the ATOP on the .325 before switching to 3/8 - then maybe I don't have to change...

Q

Qatanlison;

Please let us know what your impression is. Mike Acres says the best filed .325 chain will not cut any faster. I'm sceptical but have been wrong before!

Frank

Originally posted by Qatanlison
I talked to Goran yesterday and ordered a ATOP guide + some files; I'm getting my tuned 346XP this week - will try the ATOP on the .325 before switching to 3/8 - then maybe I don't have to change...

Q

Well has anyone tried out the results to compare speed, durabilty etc.? What is the scoop?

Frank

Frank,

Sorry for not closing the thread, but I think it was debated in some other thread...

But for you, here's my thoughts:

Using the guide is easy, follow the instructions and your heart and it will leave you with a smoother, faster cutting and longer lasting chain.

I did two chains, .325 semi-chisel, sent pictures (attached here as well) of them to Goran and asked him which one he thought most resembled the tooth he intended for the system and needless to say it's the upper.
Though I tend to like the bottom one more; It's a funny thing, it certainly looks more aggressive but I could apply pretty much the same pressure with that chain and making it cut faster. I think that having a larger/longer cutting edge, which also render a larger clearing for the chips makes it capable of faster cutting. A backside with a chain filed like the bottom one, is that when starting a cut inside the wood it tends to be a bit more grabby.

I also evaluated the kick-back tendency, which is very low - I tried putting the bar straight into the wood without ever experience any kick-back motion, it's so much sharper at the corner it just starts cutting.

Now, having a 346XP at 5HP+, I run it with square filed 3/8. But if I ever go back to .325 I'd never look back to round-filing again.

This week a logger at the Swedish Forestry Institute is testing the system (A chain provided by me) as well as a Logging/Chainsaw school here in Stockholm, should be interesting to hear their verdict.

Ola

Would you please post pictures of what the jig looks like?

I can see how the tooth in the upper pics would cut, as it is quite similar in profile to a round filed chain, where quite a bit of hook is applied, which requires a smaller file than normal to avoid filing into the tiestraps too much.

Still don't think it would be as fast and smooth as square filed....

I've never compared the ATOP with square-filed full-chisel chain - but I dare say it's as smooth but not as fast.
There's actually quite a big difference between round-filed and ATOP filed cutters; The profile of the filed edges are straight, not concave as made by a round-file - which means lesser friction.

O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back