ATV and maybe Stein Arbor Trolly for day-to-day tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve been giving much thought lately on my future material handling (brush and log moving) equipment that will make the most sense. I thought of the combination of a mini with the 360 degree rotating grapple. That’s surely tempting. However, there is only one problem with my business model. I’m a self proprietor and intend to remain that way. I do have a list of people I can hire on an on-call basis. The skid steer with grapple cannot be easily loaded on my chip truck (full-size, 7X12), and I don’t want to pull a trailer behind my chipper. So, that option is pretty much out.
A few days ago I bought the Stein’s Arbor Trolley. If all work out, that thing can make brush dragging and maybe log moving easier (I’m still not totally convinced yet). Just if it works, I’m thinking to bring a small (between 150 and 300 cc) Quad ATV to tow the Arbor Trolley. The ATV will only be less than 600 Lb and I can easily lift it up with my log lift at the back of the chip bed (still in designing phase) and load it, or a ramp. Any of you out there use an ATV for your tree work regularly? If so please share your experience as to what size and what brand and model name ATV. Thx. Erwin

Unless you are going up hill or long distances, not sure the ATV adds too much to the Trolley. The Arbor Trolley certainly does cut down on the number of trips between back yard and front yard though!

Can't remember who, but if you search through the old "mini" threads you'll find it: somebody has a space between the cab and chip dump where the mini fits.

I'm going to derail this. You mentioned you are a sole proprietor. Here that mean you are operating your business as an extension of you and not as an incorporated company (whatever form that may take). This is pretty risky as your personal assets are liable. In a business where accidents are known to happen, you should have your business incorporated to protect your personal assets from your business misfortunes.

ATH. Thx for the tip. I also thought seeing it somewhere. That might just work for me. I have a full-sized Asplundah chip truck built like a tank and it has a man-cab or can thing between the cab and chip box. It does not actually serve any purpose for me. I'll look into it and see if I can lose it and put a platform there for my ATV or skid steer or even One of those nice articulated loaders with rotating grapple.

BC Wetcoast. Thx for ur concern. I did think through that many years ago. I might even rethink it someday. But for now I'm well covered. I have a 2 mil policy and I don't hire anyone. I only work 8 to 15 hours a week and gross less than 40k. I figured that the worst can happen is to drop a tree on my clein's house, for that the 2 mil liability should do. When I'm up in the tree there is no one under the tree to be killed by accident. Personal injury is the only reason I will form a LLC. Aain, thx and I might rethink it in the future. Erwin

In Ohio it costs $125 to file for an LLC. I still have to file federal taxes as a sole proprietor so that is not more difficult than it is now. It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you can lose...and without a 'corporate veil' that includes EVERYTHING you own. Talk to an attorney. They will probably suggest some kind of corporate shelter. LLC is the most simple as far as I know. Get a federal tax ID for the company. Open a separate checking account and deposit all payments into that, pay for all expenses out of that, and don't buy toys out of it. "Pay" yourself out of that into a personal account. It is not rocket surgery...look into it sooner than later, he gave good advise!

ATH. Thanks. I'll look into it. Complicated tax management is what kept me from doing that. Now I know that it can be done without having to pay thousands to an accountant each year.

I just use an old lawn tractor with the mower deck and associated brackets, etc. removed. 22HP Kohler engine. It was given to me by a client, but you can buy them real cheap just about any time of year off CL and at garage sales. You would be amazed at what they can pull.

Back