ATV or Compact Tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It all depends on how long your drive is, how much snow you get, and how much you have to mow. If it was me I would go with the tractor. A quad works ok for moving light amounts of snow, but a long drivway is overdoing it imo. Also the mower attachments for quads dont cut worth a darn from what I have seen. They are more or less brush mowers only.

Dan,

You're far enoough into the snow belt to need something more than a quad for moving snow. Mine meets its match even with chains on.

You would get more work done with a small 4wd tractor. That way you can have a real bucket, plow and live hydro on the three point.

Have you considered a small 2wd tractor? Scrouge around for a bunch of old chains for truck tires and make up a set yourself. I cut down some tractor chains for my Waldon loader. To make chains for the ATV I cut up some old passenger tire chains.

The old Fords are pretty cheap around here. That would give you a real tractor and probably money left for a sled.

Tom

Dan;

No question the compact 4wd tractor beats the atv all to heck but they are really pricey and even used. The Yuppies bid em up. That recommendation about the older full size 2 wd farm tractor is valid. They do a real job with a brush hog and can handle a decent size snow bucket. Attachments for three point hitch stuff is available cheap at farm sales. You get some real snow in NY and a snowblower leaves no banks for drifts. You'll have enough money left over to buy the sled.

Frank

Hey Dan, are you talking about buying a new compact tractor? Shanahan Tractor in Lafayette always had a good reputation for price and service on John Deere. I`d look for a used Yanmar made Deere before buying a new one though. The Yanmar years seem to be more highly regarded than the newer Deeres.

I have a Ford 1720 which has been flawless and haven`t found a snowstorm it won`t handle with the 5' snowblower and bucket. I`ve got nearly 1600 hrs on it so far. I also run a 6' Bush Hog brand finish mower with it and it cuts very nicely, however a 6' deck brings to light every undulation in the lawn because of scalping. The 1920 is also a great machine.

Kubotas are also excellent machines.

I`ve had a Belarus, what a total POS, avoid at all costs.

The problem with the Fords like 9Ns, Fergusons, and other tractors of that type are that they weren`t meant for any significant usage in reverse, hence many don`t have an acceptable reverse ground speed for snowblower operation. Most also lack a live pto, differential lock, and adequate hydraulic pump flow for a loader. The lack of live pto is a deal breaker for snowblower and mower use. Try snowblowing or pushing snow uphill in your driveway with a thin ice or hardpack snow coating and no diff lock. Those old tractors are good for lawn mowing.

ATVs aren`t really built for heavy work and lack the weight of a tractor which makes a big difference in how hard the machine has to work. You`d be better off with an old beater plow truck than an ATV.

Russ

We have an Ford 8N....we use it for the lighter work (small bush hog, raking hay, etc.)...plenty available....lots of attachments. BUT...if you're going with the older models, it may pay to check into the availability of a ROPS (Roll Over Protection System?) for it first.

I would get the tractor. However, we have a 2wd 901 Ford and a 4wd 3930. We will never get another 2wd. 4wd I would think to be a must for you, exspecailly if you get a front bucket. We got the 3930 4wd for 14,000 I think and it had around 800 hours on it. 4wd is great, we have NEVER regreted getting the 4wd.

Carl

Thanks Ben...unfortunately, this one I can speak of from experience. I'm sure I've mentioned before that that's the way my father-in-law was killed on this 8N...big dent is still on the cover...purposely left there as a reminder.

He was pulling a telephone pole off the railway, for use in a pole barn that never got built....no one knows exactly what happened (his foot might have slipped?) but it ended up pile-driving him ...his best friend and his son-in-law were helping him on the job, couldn't do a thing....helpless.

I think these cute little tractors can be deceiving...they still hold alot of POWER. I feel a WHOLE lot safer on my JD2550.

Not a problem Ben, this happened in 1990....changed me from city girl 'lab rat' to 'farm wife'...pretty much overnight. :eek: It's still a bad memory, but one we've wrapped our life around and are playing the cards we were dealt. His wife (early 60s at the time) was really cheated....so was my husband and kids....his dad was a very unique/gifted man.

Dan, congrats on the land!!! But.....be careful with all the toys/equipment you'll be acquiring from now on. From what I'm seeing.....pretty much EVERYTHING (including ATVs) you'll be needing/using can be dangerous. (Watch out for the PTOs!!) If you have kids.....quadruple the warning.

Go with the tractor with 3 point hitch. I have ATV's for fun they got paid through my equipment for work. A old treeman once told me "work is work, if it was fun they would have called it fun" I can't argue its true. I have a 250EX, 400EX, and the new YFZ 450 sitting in my garage and I am up everday at 5:30 to go to work and pay for them, they all have low hours, my chainsaws do not .
And remember with the tractor you can move snow in addition to plowing it.

Lumberjack:

The 4WD is undoubtedly better than the 2WD excepting that the maintenance is much higher. A lot of expensive and wearing parts go into giving you 4WD. Also initial cost whether new or used is much higher. A good set of X linked rear chains goes a long ways to making up the difference. If you are working on only a small property and dont have to road it for miles the chains arent too much drawback. I have heard it said jokingly that 4WD only gets you stuck further into the bush!

Frank

So far in the maintence area of the 4wd we have changed the oil in the hubs and greased the front end, and we use the 4wd a good bit. It is true that 4wd will just get you such further in the hole, but what if you reach the other side of the hole before you get stuck? :D Having 4wd increases your tractive horsepower by 2. That means that theoretically the 45hp 4wd will outpull a 90hp 2wd, and I believe it. If you have a front end loader, then that takes alot of weight off the rear when you are picking up anything that is heavy, if you had 4wd, then it would add traction not take it away. I have never moved snow, but i have plowed, box bladed small hills flat, pushed up a brush pile with a loader, and the 4wd helps alot. I wish that I had a 25-30 hp diesel (4wd)with a loader, to get in back yards.

I would like to add that I have a Case 780 backhoe that is 2WD.
Now this is in the 25K weight range (not a small unit) I use it to maintain my 64 acre lot. It does not even move up a small incline
in the snow. It is also hard to work with if it's muddy. I spent a lot of time pulling it out with the hoe whenever it rains. Now I only plan on taking in the woods in the dry season. I regret not getting a 4WD unit.

Lumberjack;

You are still on the maintenance honeymoon with that 4WD. The big ticket items come later. My tractors are 20 and 38 years old.
Any serious work in snow or mud with 2WD requires good tire tread and / or chains.

Wolf66;

What do your tires look like? If you are slithering around like you say I bet they look like moccasins. I have worked lots of hours with 580 Case Hoes, both 2 and 4 WD. The 780 is a monster by comparison though. It does help to have working split brakes on a 2 wd for steering when it gets slick.
Down to Earth mentioned some concerns with $. If money is no problem go for the 4wd. A general rule of thumb is 50% more for 4wd, other things being equal. If you are doing custom work for others and they are paying the bill, you'll look more professional with 4wd. It is easier. If you don't want to tie up a lot of money for a low usage machine, and its only for your self, well............

Frank

"My tractors are 20 and 38 years old"

2WD or 4WD, any machine has big ticket maintenance after that length of time. Thats why they keep making new machines.;)

I have a 38hp kubota with 4WD. A little grease and change the gear fluid in the front axle. Running the loader is a hassle in 2WD in any type of material other than asphalt. Being able to shift in and out of 4WD is certainly more convenient and versatile than tire chains.

The time you save with the proper equipment can be spent playing or working ti buy other toys. Obviously a tractor is a much bigger investment than an ATV but I can't remember what I did without one. Oh yeah, hours of sweating or freezing at hard labor.:D

Newfie:

No question those compact 4wd tractors are good machines. Now tell us Mike what is the list price of your tractor?
My old machines are 2wd; I wouldn't want to try to nurse a 4wd that far along years!
I don't know why i am being the Devil's Advocate here for 2wd snce 4wd is clearly more user friendly; its just that I can't justify the difference in investment for what I do with them. Like plow the yard, haul wood, clean eaves trough, bury dead horses and a few people, but thats another story!

Frank

Frank,

I'm not sure what the $$ difference was btw 4wd or 2wd. It was never a consideration and I'm not even sure it was an option on the Grand L series I shopped. 26K was list for the machine w/ loader and bucket. (but who ever pays list?) I didn't say any of the tractors were cheap and frankly, the price tag on any similar machine might make the whole point moot for Ben's needs. I definitley agree, it is a lot of cake to fork over if you are just putting sround the back yard sort of thing.

Originally posted by Crofter
Lumberjack;

You are still on the maintenance honeymoon with that 4WD. The big ticket items come later. My tractors are 20 and 38 years old.
Any serious work in snow or mud with 2WD requires good tire tread and / or chains.

Wolf66;

Yes you are corect , my tires are not in the best condition, about 40%, but I need to stop the hydlolic leaks before I get new rubber.

Latest posts

Back