Austrian Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqavarna Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in Colorado and a friend has a bunch of this for me to clean up from a tree farm. I am not familiar with this type of pine as we have Pinion pine, Ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, Doug fir, and spruce here. Is the Austrian one any good for firewood? Also which type of pine Is it close to?

Austrian Pine has a lot of sap to it and would pop a lot and create havoc for your chimney with all the sap burning. It is a fairly tolerate species and can handle some pretty severe weather. It does get a fungus from time to time but generally does not kill the species off. The fungus is pretty minor for the most part. I would not trust wikipedia for information on trees. Anyone can add information to their posts.
We have cut Austrian Pine for Christmas Trees as they are very pretty cut, lit and with ornaments on them. And they make a sturdy tree for landscaping or other purposes as well. It is actually one of my favorite trees and would not be eager to cut a stand down. It does well for preventing soil erosion and such.
I would never burn it in a woodstove.

I believe it is similar to a scotch or Norway(red) or ponderossa pine. Med length thick needles.

Low heat value per cord, but I'm sure it will heat your house.

Austrian Pine has a lot of sap to it and would pop a lot and create havoc for your chimney with all the sap burning.
I would never burn it in a woodstove.
actually the sappier the better , the more resin it has the higher the heat value , the higher the elevation it is grown, it grows slower and makes it denser, therefore it burns longer and has a higher heat value,of course it must be dry or seasoned , for several years i have burned a lot of pine and cedar they produce less creosote than any hardwood that is burned in a woodstove , they do burn dirtier and produce more carbon buildup much like the carbon in your chainsaw muffler which needs to cleaned out of your flue ever so often or it will stop it up , i have never had a chimney fire burning pine , people around where i live see pine in the back of my truck and freak out when i tell them its firewood , the first reply is usually " oh my you can't burn pine , that will start a chimney fire " the next reply is usually "I or someone i know did or about burned their house down trying to burn pine " ..., then they just think i am ignorant and walk away with the deer in the head lights look ...but i believe them, .... here is my theory , they load their stove down with oak and hickory and smolder it for 15 years like you are smoking hams at smithfield ," i know this is true i see the blue smoke spewing out of their chimneys " which is very bad , never clean the chimney , i know this is true cause i have had them to tell me so , which is even worse ....then you throw a full load of dry resinous pine " rocket fuel i call it " and try to burn it like hard wood , shut the stove completely down , the first thing that happens is it sits and heats up to critical temperature spewing volatile gasses much like burning coal into the flue , and then the pine lights off like a tender box igniting the gasses in the flue , over fire happens very quickly at this point, like a couple of minuets , the plates , doors and seams in the stove warp or expand and it continues to draw more air as they open up , it "freight trains , i call it " or runs away , at this point there is no stopping it with out a flue damper and sometimes that don't even work , but this blow torch going up the flue heats the chimney to critical mass very quickly, i think its 1000 degrees , lighting the creosote which burn's in excess of 4000 degrees , walls smoke and roofs catch fire ... it has never happened to me , but i have seen this happen first hand when a friend of mine lit off a packed full load of kindling in his fathers stove , the wall was smoking in five minuets , the stove was glowing red and flames were shooting several feet out the top of the chimney , it sounded like a buzz bomb or a freight train ...with all that said , keep your chimney clean , burn a good hot opened up fire when you get up and go to bed and no one should have any trouble burning anything , including pine ...

the coldest parts of the world softwoods are mostly all they have to burn , fire is a living beast and it must be allowed to run free from time to time ...
oh i about forgot , even though you joined before i did ...welcome to the forum ......

Do as you like, and good luck. I will do as i have based on my education in wood technology.

Back