Austrian pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My neighbors and I have 2-3 acres of Austrian pine (or variant of) that need to be thinned. I have always been told that burning any kind of pine in a fireplace is verboten. However, we are talking several cords of wood and I would rather put it to some kind of use rather than letting it rot at the dump. Any thoughts?

Burn a hot fire and you should minimize creosotes build up. I sure wouldn't waste it--can you mix it in with other wood?

My thought was to give it a full year to 18 months to season and then mix it in with my other wood (hardwood, silver maple, etc). The other though was to split a bunch of it and sell it in bundles as camp fire or firepit firewood. Camping and firepit wood will be in higher demand since there is a ban on transporting ash because of the emerald ash borer.:hmm3grin2orange:

Split the pine,let it season in a covered,well ventilated area,and after 12-24 mths it should burn pretty well.If your woodburner is designed correctly,you should not experience any problems.
It pretty much boils down to how "seasoned" the wood is,and how hot you run the fire.
If the wood is not "dry",or you run the fire on "low" heat(too long),you may run into problems of excessive smoke or creosote.

It is good stuff to mix in with hardwood, nice in the fireplace to get things started, or for use in the campfire or outdoor fire pit thingee. I wouldn't want it to go to waste, either. So get to cuttin' and splittin!

British Columbia is in the midst of a disaster because of the pine beetle which is killing all the pines, people have been burning only pine all the time here for years. Like others have said, well seasoned wood that is burned properly will not be a problem, including pine.

Biggest misconception in wood burning.
Oak has more potential creosote than Pine.
Pine drys faster than Oak too. The biggest issue with Pine is it is a fast fire and then there is the damn sap!

Biggest misconception in wood burning.
Oak has more potential creosote than Pine.
Pine drys faster than Oak too. The biggest issue with Pine is it is a fast fire and then there is the damn sap!

I wonder if cutting pine in the winter helps cut down on the sap? But agreed, I am not a-feared of burning seasoned pine in my stove!

Burn it!

I love to burn hard wood, but . . . mostly what I get is softwood (red pine) I got a deal with the town to go in and clear out dead & down trees from about 200 acres of "park" (woods) the stuff that has fallen, but got hung up in the trees is the best, as it has been there 2- 5 years and is dry, and burns hot! I burn alot of soft wood, but I tend to put in BIG pieces at night to try not to have to either get up in the night, or start a new fire in the morning!

The branches from a dead evergreen make good kindling too!

Shawn

Back