Auto tune compensates for.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What are the things autotune compensates for? Does it compensate for when you run the saw dry? What about leaner fuel mixes?

Is running it dry for storage bad for autotune or the saw?

Weather conditions, elevation, dirty air filter I would assume.

I wouldn't count on it to compensate for leaner fuel/oil mix if that's what you were referring to. The oil lubricates the major moving engine internals. I don't think any level of AT is going to keep the internals safe with no oil present in the fuel mix. Think of it like running your vehicle with no oil in the crankcase. It's the same thing.

AT controls fuel/air mix, which correlates more directly with combustion chamber and piston crown temps. Autotune should keep the fuel/air mix at a rate where performance is optimized and emissions are minimal at any elevation or in any weather conditions, while not running it so lean piston/combustion chamber temps rise to the point of piston damage.

It just so happens I ran our AT 550xp out of fuel today at work chasing down a tree that fell into one of our roads. I noticed that it quit with very little warning that it was running out of fuel. Not like older saws where you could see it coming and shut her down before it started wing-dingin. I revved it to make a cut and it quit almost instantly, out of the blue. I guess maybe the AT will compensate as the tank is getting down to the last little bit if fuel. Or maybe it was just a fluke.

All sorts of things involving running right, but if you don't have the latest software updates then you're up **** crick. Then Stihl Corp wants to be fuggin thugs and not allow other licensed saw shops to use their ipl's or software in an attempt to monopolize their brand.
Having to use a computer to work on a chainsaw makes me want to vomit my bones up, and I'm very computer literate.

Ok, rant over.

I picked up a used 545 carb from a fellow member and plugged it in to the laptop today.

See attached PDF doc for screen shots.

Auto tune monitors: total run time, number of starts, carb temp, throttle position, RPM, and fuel settings. It doesn't seem to care about altitude, and doesn't have any kind of exhaust gas monitoring.

Note on this saw it spent 57% of it's time idling and only 1.5% of the time at WOT.

100_6946.JPG

Attachments

• Auto tune screens.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 72
I picked up a used 545 carb from a fellow member and plugged it in to the laptop today.

Auto tune monitors: total run time, number of starts, carb temp, throttle position, RPM, and fuel settings. It doesn't seem to care about altitude, and doesn't have any kind of exhaust gas monitoring.

Note on this saw it spent 57% of it's time idling and only 1.5% of the time at WOT.

View attachment 472057
You need to consider the last run time on the saw was only a little over a minute, so the number are as expected.

The time spent at part throttle should be avoided.

Right... I thought it was looking at % based on total hours, but as noted it is only looking at the last time the saw ran. Thank you.

Autotune compensates for people who are either too lazy or too incompetent to adjust a carburetor.

View attachment 472057
lt kinda does care about altitude as it controls fuel settings according to the environment the saw is being run. That's caring about altitude.

Autotune compensates for people who are either too lazy or too incompetent to adjust a carburetor.
I have to say it, I wholeheartedly disagree. Innovation, even if small, is one of the things that makes this country so great. I wouldn't say someone is lazy or incompetent if he's still cutting while the guy next to him is adjusting his carburetor. Makes no sense to me.

A friend of mine made a mistake and filled the fuel tank on his saw with chain oil. Autotune adjusted and the saw ran on the oil.

I do not believe that a saw would run on bar oil. I call BS. It might run a minute while there was still gas in the carb system, but not indefinitely.

I have to say it, I wholeheartedly disagree. Innovation, even if small, is one of the things that makes this country so great. I wouldn't say someone is lazy or incompetent if he's still cutting while the guy next to him is adjusting his carburetor. Makes no sense to me.

You mean when the autotune guy packs up for the day and goes looking for a dealer who is willing or knowledgeable enough to fix an autotune saw? All the while, the low tech, old school, carb saw continues to fill the truck. Makes sense to me :).

BTW: The only time the carb needs adjusted is when we go up higher in elevation and even then, it takes a few seconds...just a small turn of the H needle. But, like most things in our country, people don't want to think even if it only takes a few seconds. Everything in our lives are controlled electronically...WE DON'T NEED ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED CARBS ON OUR CHAINSAWS.

Back