Automatic Chain Filer (yes, filer, not grinder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure that would fit into my 2-car garage...
They suggest placing the 12V model on the tailgate of your pickup-truck and running off the vehicle battery. That would be an expensive option for me, as I would first have to buy a pickup truck!

But I am seriously intrigued. A lot of people prefer the edge produced by a file over a grinder, but there can be so much variation with hand filing. The Granberg-type file guides can help with that. I also work with a lot of volunteers who vary in skill level, so a portable, 20 pound device that can be used in the field or in a shop is appealing. Plus I like things that sharpen chains!

Waiting to see the price.

Philbert

All these automatic sharpeners and grinders and what not. I just don’t get it.

Spend a couple minutes with some hand files and be done with.

Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many chains do you do a day or a week? Hand falling or running harvester doing 15 to 20 chains a week I’ll gladly use a grinder plus I’ll bet you my chains are more consistent, faster, and smoother in a cut which is less wear and tear on me or the harvester saw motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting sharpening tool, I find filing takes a sturdy held tooth and the right amount of pressure. I wonder how well a machine manages such a task. As for saw shop use maybe a much lower price compared to an auto grinder may be attractive but a grinding wheel can do a LOT of chain in its service life, a file not so much. Much like Philbert, I like any sharpening tools. The big question with this one is MSRP.

Did that guy in the beginning of the video drag his file backwards through the tooth on the backstroke?
I don’t think so, I barely clear the tooth on my back stroke. But, I’ve been doing it for over 40 years. I don’t use a guide or handles, just hold the file. Now that I’m getting older I’m lucky to get one side of a 36” chain before my hands start to cramp up and I have to take a break.

Back