autumn blaze maple codominant leader prune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feanor07

Reaction score
I have an autumn blaze maple that I planted 4 years ago in my yard. It has a codominant leader. My understanding is that this isn't ideal. I'd like to remove one this year to help it establish one leader. Any advice on which one I should remove? My initial thought was to keep the left side since that is larger, but looking more closely at the split, it looks like maybe I should cut the left and keep the right? Would it be okay to completely remove either all at once? Thanks!

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I'd keep the left. You can subordinate the right gradually but I think with a tree that young you may be ok with just taking it off.
Another suggestion would be to leave a stub for a year or so. Prune off any sucker growth from that stub (12" or so) and over the course of that year a good swollen area (collar) should form. That will tell you where to make your final cut. Do not cut into the collar and try and make your final cut right down to it.

I'd keep the left. You can subordinate the right gradually but I think with a tree that young you may be ok with just taking it off.
Another suggestion would be to leave a stub for a year or so. Prune off any sucker growth from that stub (12" or so) and over the course of that year a good swollen area (collar) should form. That will tell you where to make your final cut. Do not cut into the collar and try and make your final cut right down to it.

+1

Latest posts

Back