Average Size Log/Split for Stove???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also used the "rule of palm" method. If I can’t pick it up and toss it into the trailer with one hand, it gets split again… same with rounds. So I’d say 80% of them end up in the 5 inch range, with some 4 and 6 inchers sprinkled in… maybe an occasional 7 incher. That seems to work out about best; any bigger and they start leaving a lot of wasted air space in the firebox; any smaller and they burn up too fast.

Hopefully your wife isn't posting a similar reply in a totally different forum...and hopefully you can take a joke for me even mentioning it...:bowdown:

Last edited:
I like to keep mine all to the 16 to 18 inch mark, and split down to no more than 4-5 inches. I have a Napoleon fireplace insert that is my only heat source and when loading it to head for work or for the night, I like to be able to stack it full. My favorite pieces are from big block centers that are 18x4x8 rectangular blocks. I can get as many as 6 in at a time and will still have a coal bed after being gone 11 hours during the day.

I use a modified "rule of palm". I am not a small person so I can pick up a little bigger than most with one hand. My stove takes up to a 24 inch long log so I like my wood 20-22 inch long. I split rounds over 6 inch in two, over 10 in quarters. But I like to keep a few 8-10 inch full rounds in the stack for those long overnight burns. My stove door is 12 x 12 so any bigger than 10 inch round is a tight fit but with one big round of hickory or locust and small splits packed around it I can get some crazy long burn times.

In my neighborhood I'm selling wood 4-5"dia at a 12-14" length. Alot of the older homes around here have old fireplaces and the stove stores are selling inserts. Most of the inserts can only take a 14" log. It's more work but then again they burn more, and buy more. I've tried selling larger it just doesnt sell.

My old stove limited me to 12 or 13" long. My new stove will fire box is 14w x 22l x 16h. I have been using the short wood since it was what I had prepared for this year. I put some in long way then fill in the rest perpendicular. It works well. I believe I will still cut to 12" length. It will season faster and my teenage daughters can move and stack it easily. I split various sizes and load by burn time or heat output. It seems to be a good system for my use.

Well I decided to get the old camera out and take a few pics of usual splits and loading of stove. Here is the cart and how I usually load it. Now this cart is 14" from left to right as in the pic, and 34" tall to the handle
attachment.php

Here is a load in the stove 3 on the bottom and 3 on the top. Stove door is 18"x12"
attachment.php

This is usually what is left after loading the stove with splits, usually about 3 pieces left over.
attachment.php

Well I decided to get the old camera out and take a few pics of usual splits and loading of stove. Here is the cart and how I usually load it. Now this cart is 14" from left to right as in the pic, and 34" tall to the handle
attachment.php

Here is a load in the stove 3 on the bottom and 3 on the top. Stove door is 18"x12"
attachment.php

This is usually what is left after loading the stove with splits, usually about 3 pieces left over.
attachment.php
I see sweetgum in that thar wood stack. Man, I'd know that splintery Jack-o-lantern grin anywhere. :D

How's it burn for you?

Latest posts

Back