Averted a near-disaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was out cutting with my just overhauled 045 Stihl, when the engine cut out on me. Started to fiddle with the carb. settings but the starter decided not to work. I took her back to the shed, tore the starter cover off and out fell a screw which could only have come off the cylinder base. Since I could only see two of the four screws I used a screwdriver to check for movement and dammit, the cylinder wiggled. Only one screw fell off, but all were loose.

My opinion is that nothing is hurt as the saw ran like this for 10-15 minutes and the compression is still good. In fact, I think it is getting better since the starter failed because the nylon friction lining is wore out and it finally couldn't grab hard enough. The loose cylinder also explains a strange knocking (cylinder banging up and down) I heard when I was trying to restart the saw.

Anybody want to second my opinion? Should I put some threadlocker on the screws to prevent this? I guess I didn't tighten them enough, but I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks, Chris Bean

well i hope not. one more mistake like that and we going to have to compare family pedigrees ,to see where we are related.:D glad it turned out good for u.
and please dont worry or get insulted.
every crook, in my family pedigree was pretty good at it.:)

Latest posts

Back