avgas negatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher octane rating also means longer burn time. As the piston is on the down stroke (after ignition) the flame proceeds to push the piston down. Hence making more power, especially if the engine has a long stroke.

BTW: Go to Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada for a list of E-free fuel stations in your area. :msp_thumbup:

Learned some more, as usual.

Anecdotal evidence, but I agree with the temperate nature of 100LL. Where I live, we have an extremely wide swing in temparature, humidity, and air density through the seasons. My newer saws run great with a little adjusting. My old Macs (build in the days of leaded pump), bark with anger in the cold and, with adjustment, into the low-70s. On a hot summer night however (90+), forget it. You'll work yourself into a lather and never get so much as a pop. I don't care really, since saw prime-time for me is October - April.

There is quite a bit of misinformation about 100LL Avgas. I'll try to address some of this.

1) Avgas contains lead. However, recent modifications to 100LL (under the very same specification) have resulted in a product known as 100VLL (very low lead) It's what is generally available at Avgas pumps now. In other words, much of 100LL sold today is actually 100VLL.

2) Avgas is engineered to vaporize readily, for excellent cold and high altitude performance.

3) Avgas is high octane fuel.

4) Alcohol free unleaded has limited real world anti knock performance. Generally 93 is the maximum number, R+M/2. Without significant engineering, unleaded gasoline is incapable of higher octane. Swift fuels (a 100LL replacement) is an experimental high octane unleaded. It's not available.

5) Due to excellent vaporization, idle, low speed and high speed "jetting" may need to be adjusted slightly leaner with the use of 100LL.

6) Many high RPM engines exhibit a slight loss of power on 100LL. This is generally due to improper fuel/air mixture.

I use 100LL in all my yard equipment. It is trouble free. A perfect example is the lifespan of the primer bulbs on pump gas v 100LL. I have a 12 year old Echo blower with the original primer bulb at my aircraft hangar, still in perfect working order (avgas since new). Where my Echo weed eater at home has been through many primer bulbs with auto gas. I've now switched to 100LL in everything and my fuel system troubles have been eliminated.

Also, when properly tuned, 100LL just runs smoother in 2 strokes at low loads. Mostly due to vaporization issues.

Props to cujet for sharing factual info. Now I know why I like av gas.

Last edited:
Been running av gas in my MS460 and assorted other power equipment since reading this thread back in January. I have had a good experience with the fuel....nothing negative to report....and it smells good too. You can't buy non-ethenol gas in NJ so I decided to give it a try. My generator runs great on this fuel....had it running for 11 days post hurricane Sandy....not the entire time on avgas, but the first tank was pure and in there for 10 months. Started on the first pull.

I'm sold on using it in all my small engines.

It would be interesting to get a couple guys who run it regularly to have their blood lead levels checked. I'm convinced it is a better quality fuel for chainsaws, but I worry about leaded exhaust a couple feet from where I breathe. It may be that it dissipates before getting in the lungs, but maybe not. At least in the airplane the exhaust is pretty far away and in a good breeze. I think it is the way to go for the emergency generator storage fuel.

I'd hate to find out 5 years down the line that I really was breathing too much of the stuff. Probably doesn't matter at my usage level where I can get away with canned mix without totally blowing the budget.

I just stopped at a small airport and the young fella there charged me 5.50 a gallon for it. I may go back and get more for my old blazer for winter storage. I plan to mix it half with 87 no ethanol gas since I really do not need the high octane just want better than 87!

It would be interesting to get a couple guys who run it regularly to have their blood lead levels checked. I'm convinced it is a better quality fuel for chainsaws, but I worry about leaded exhaust a couple feet from where I breathe. It may be that it dissipates before getting in the lungs, but maybe not. At least in the airplane the exhaust is pretty far away and in a good breeze. I think it is the way to go for the emergency generator storage fuel.

I'd hate to find out 5 years down the line that I really was breathing too much of the stuff. Probably doesn't matter at my usage level where I can get away with canned mix without totally blowing the budget.

I hear what you are saying about the lead in the exhaust. Most of what I have read about lead toxisity focuses on lead levels in children during devevelopmental stages. It can have a negative impact on congnative functions ie. IQ. In adults they seem to talk about cardiovascular issues from lead exposure. My thought is that I'm not running my saw all day, I just use it for firewood cutting. I tend to think my exposure levels are minimal......others may disagree. I was thinking about making sure you are upwind of the exhaust but that to me should not be on my mind when using my saw. First and formost is cutting with safety in mind with respect to escape path, awareness in the stresses in the wood being cut, and anticipitating as many unknown unknowns as possible.

Tom

I tried some AVGAS in my Greyhound to see if she would run faster. I don't think it worked. And the deposits she makes are not remotely gray. Which is sort of odd, being she's a Greyhound.

[video=youtube;fX1RZTSAdcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1RZTSAdcg[/video]

man that is one laid back mut and very cool

I catch crap here for using 110 VP (Sunoco) purple.

Saws start and run great, always figured if 87 is $4 why not spring for the $6.50 ****.

Lead from Avgas etc can cause birth defects but benzene from unleaded fuel is a known carcinogen (hence catalytic converters in unleaded cars and some newer saws).
In theory everything can kill you (especially if you live in California :) ) but in reality it's a lot different luckily.

Latest posts

Back