Avoiding tearing up yards with bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal O' Mine

Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you use to prevent bucket trucks from tearing up lawns. It's obviously a bigger problem at this time of year when the ground is still relatively soft.

We are fairly new in the business and just purchased a used bucket truck....GMC 7500 with forestry package and Altec LR IV lift (ex-Asplundh unit). I believe it's around 20,000 lbs with the chip box empty. We've done 3 jobs recently and marked up the lawns pretty badly each time (we promised to come back later and fill-in/re-seed the ruts). The homeowner's said "no problem" but I don't like it and feel that continuing this is will be a detriment to the company's reputation.

So what works for you so that when you leave the job the customer's yard is no worse for wear than before? Thanks for any advice.

4x8 sheets ripped in half for the entire truck front and back 3/4 not particle board we replace them once a year , I buy 15 sheets which make 30 pieces, with your truck you can stack them on the headache rack and bind them down its fast or alturnamats....

They are REALLY expensive, but Alturnamatts are awesome. They last basically forever, weigh less than plywood (although they are still heavy) and protect better than plywood. They are also great for stump grinders and dingos since they are wide enough to accommodate both.

They are REALLY expensive, but Alturnamatts are awesome. They last basically forever, weigh less than plywood (although they are still heavy) and protect better than plywood. They are also great for stump grinders and dingos since they are wide enough to accommodate both.

alturnamats are the best option.

4x8 sheets ripped in half for the entire truck front and back 3/4 not particle board we replace them once a year , i buy 15 sheets which make 30 pieces, with your truck you can stack them on the headache rack and bind them down its fast or alturnamats....
\\

same here

We use the 3/4" plywood. Takes a at least 2 people to set up and is time consuming but less so than coming back to fix ruts. It will get even heavier when it soaks up water. If you have a machine, it makes it pretty easy to load up the forks with the boards, and plank your way in setting up. Keep some extra for the outriggers too.

those alturnamats stay the same weight regardless of weather and dont fall apart after a few uses.

might be a little pricey but they do have a 6yr warrantee.

Latest posts

Back