Axe for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't find a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian forest axe below or at retail in the states, they are on backlog for who knows how long. I did manage to find a outfit in Canada that has them in stock for under retail with free shipping. I have a lot of softwood on the farm that needs cleaning up. I figure I would try one for limbing and maybe save my back a bit bending over with a chainsaw. Does anyone else here limb with a axe and what is your preference? gransfors.jpg

I have the husqvarana axe about the same as gb axe (i have both) little less finish work on the head and half the 0rice

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have the husqvarana axe about the same as gb axe (i have both) little less finish work on the head and half the 0rice

I believe a 90 day warranty on the husqvarna vs a 20 year on the gb. Thats why I spent the extra money.

Velvicut
made in the USA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Generally I like Council Tool, but the fit and finish of the Velvicut line is not worth nearly double the price. Their $40 2.5 lb boys axe will work as well with the same fit and finish (albeit painted head) as the $150+ Velvicut Bad Boys Axe. The only real difference is the steel is sort of polished, but still rough around the edges.

Husqvarna contracts different makers to forge their steel. They used to be made by Wetterlings, but for a few years now have been made by Hultafors. They have had a bad rap from a number of cases where the steel breaks at the bit or forge weld. Also, their handles are too thick and need to be shaved down for enough springy rebound.

OP - the Gransförs SFA is an excellent choice for limbing, but as you know will fetch you some coin. If you want Swedish quality and refinement at a lower cost, look into Hults Bruk like their Kalix:

http://wisementrading.com/wood-work...e-2-25-lb-head-28-in-american-hickory-handle/

Otherwise, my biased recommendation would be to find a 2.25-3 lb vintage head, restore and hang it yourself ;)

I ordered the sfa out of Canada at a much lower price that I could find in the US. A small outfit had 26 on hand while everyone in the states had them on backorder or jacked up in price. I think my next purchase will be the small forest axe for kindling. The reviews on the Husqvarna breaks and 90 day warranty kept me away from them. I like the idea of having a 20 warranty I'm 63 and should be dead by the time its up.

I ordered the sfa out of Canada at a much lower price that I could find in the US. A small outfit had 26 on hand while everyone in the states had them on backorder or jacked up in price. I think my next purchase will be the small forest axe for kindling. The reviews on the Husqvarna breaks and 90 day warranty kept me away from them. I like the idea of having a 20 warranty I'm 63 and should be dead by the time its up.

Ah, I missed that part about you already ordering it. Was the retailer by chance Canadian Outdoor Equipment in Toronto? I bought my Wetterlings Hudson Bay axe from them and the price was much less than American dealers, plus the shipping was free through Canada Post for orders over $150. Customer service is good as well.

Ah, I missed that part about you already ordering it. Was the retailer by chance Canadian Outdoor Equipment in Toronto? I bought my Wetterlings Hudson Bay axe from them and the price was much less than American dealers, plus the shipping was free through Canada Post for orders over $150. Customer service is good as well.
Yes it was Canadian outdoor the axe was 136 so I added a bevel guage for the free shipping. Amazon or ebay they were 175 on up to 400. Crooks!

I got one of these off one of the tool trucks that stops by for limbing ,if you can get past the plastic handle it does the job ,not the head of a swedish axe by no means though .
SCHAXE9n.jpg

I have 3 husqvarna axes ,the forest axe 28 handle ,carpenters ,roughly 20 inch and a hatchet ,they hold a nice edge and are priced about half the other swedish ones .The carpenters one is heavier feeling than the forest one ,is a good kindling splitter .

Would be great for hunt outings also. Now I'm looking at the Wetterlings 118. A little cheaper than the GS small forest axe.

Wetterlings are becoming harder and harder to find, as there are only a finite amount new and unused that remain. Not sure if you heard, but earlier this spring they went out of business. Granförs Bruk bought the facility and expanded their production there in Storvik, continuing to employ the Wetterlings workers and craftsmen.

There are only a few retailers that I know who have inventory, but it's slim pickings. I wanted their Scandinavian Forest Axe, which is very similar to Gransförs' in weight and length. Unfortunately, I'm afraid they're all gone unless you want to get bent over by a private seller.

I have 3 husqvarna axes ,the forest axe 28 handle ,carpenters ,roughly 20 inch and a hatchet ,they hold a nice edge and are priced about half the other swedish ones .The carpenters one is heavier feeling than the forest one ,is a good kindling splitter .
Did you see the Gerber gator 2 axe pruning saw combo?

I wonder if GS will honor wetterlings lifetime warranty?

That's a good question! I'd imagine that if you had the drive and gumption to continually pursue a claim, provided it should present itself, then perhaps they would do good on it. The short answer is probably no, because let's face it, too many cruddy folks out there looking to get something for nothing with bogus and frivelous claims.

Honestly, what can really go wrong with it? Aside from the steel failing, what's the worst that could happen? The head comes loose? That can happen from storing it in too dry of conditions, and is not difficult to remedy or repair. The handle damaged? That's not a warranty claim unless the grain orientation is bunk, and typically they are on-point. Again, replacing an axe handle is not difficult, and in all honesty, is a skill that should be known by anyone who swings and axe regularly.

Latest posts

Back