Back at work in the shop and making lumber again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally getting to run the carriage mill some more, always about a thousand other things to do it seems. Here are a few pics of a recent project and a little maple log I had on the mill today. The log I have let sit out for about three years in a wet spot and the spalting result was pretty good. I have another good sized maple trunk that has about two years on it. I really like the look of spalted maple. The cabinet is for the laundry room over the washer and drier and the face frame is red oak (the first wood I ever milled with my home built Alaskan) and the panels and shelves are out of a nice white ash that I took down last spring.
0324122030.jpg
0402122129.jpg
0402121611.jpg
0402121637.jpg

Finally getting to run the carriage mill some more, always about a thousand other things to do it seems. Here are a few pics of a recent project and a little maple log I had on the mill today. The log I have let sit out for about three years in a wet spot and the spalting result was pretty good. I have another good sized maple trunk that has about two years on it. I really like the look of spalted maple. The cabinet is for the laundry room over the washer and drier and the face frame is red oak (the first wood I ever milled with my home built Alaskan) and the panels and shelves are out of a nice white ash that I took down last spring.
0324122030.jpg
0402122129.jpg
0402121611.jpg
0402121637.jpg

Jim,

Nice work on the cabinet. I just finished a die-cast metal care display case for a friend made from red oak, and a yellow pine table for my self made from a shipping crate sent from back East. It's cool getting the yellow pine, because we don't have that out here.

jerry-

The spalting looks greeat

What kind of finish did you use on it?

How is it milling drying and working with the ash?

Ash and maybe silkleaf oak are probably the best shot at decent wood that I'll get out here. I'm about 80% done with my carriage and can't wait to let her rip. I'm probably the most excited about the ash though.

Nice milling and cabinet Jimdad. Way to get her done.

Old Blue
Where the taxes meet the turf in......
Kali-bone-ya

What kind of finish did you use on it?

How is it milling drying and working with the ash?

Ash and maybe silkleaf oak are probably the best shot at decent wood that I'll get out here. I'm about 80% done with my carriage and can't wait to let her rip. I'm probably the most excited about the ash though.

Nice milling and cabinet Jimdad. Way to get her done.

Old Blue
Where the taxes meet the turf in......
Kali-bone-ya

The ash mills very well, if you look through it is pretty popular with a lot of people here. It has a lot of nice grains in it and so far I have not had a lot of problems air drying it and the internal stressed don't seem to come out much when turning it into finish grade lumber. Most of what I mill is milled into 5/4" boards for cabinet work. I could probably get by with 1" boards as I am planing down to 3/4"for the cabinets but I like having the breathing room.

ps: I used high gloss poly on it for finish.

Back