Back Draft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djkost

djkost

ArboristSite Operative
Today I had my garage fill with smoke, I had the stamper door shut on my heat pro furnace. The only thing I can think is that I either had a back draft or I lost draft in the chimney causing the stove to release the smoke though the air intake vent. I open the draft door and the smoke inside the stove ignited, the chimney warmed up and it worked fine, I have a Drolet Heat Pro. Anyone else have this happen to them? I cleaned my chimney a week ago so it wasn't a chimney fire. Any help thanks.

Jakers

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
warm days like today can be hard to get a decent draft. im guessing the chimney cooled because you were choking down the fire as the need for heat wasnt there. nice sunny warmer than it has been in a long while kinda day around here. im in west central MN myself

djkost

djkost

ArboristSite Operative
Yes I thought the same, it was close to 20 above here. Once the fan kicks on the chimney cools a lot. Even when the furnace is burning hard the flue temp goes down. I guess I'll use poplar for warmer days.

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
Sounds like puff-back. Firebox gets saturated with combustible gasses then once it gets enough oxygen it ignores and has a small combustion. Burn the stove hotter when possible.

ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Happens to me sometimes if I forget to open the door dampers first and make sure the draft is drawing smoke into the chimney. I don't know how she does it, but my wife can smell that smoke in an instant!

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
Other solution is to get some heat in the chimney to get a better draft on reloads. Only add one are two versions small splits on the coals and let them get ripping with the door cracked (10-15 mins). Once they are down to about coals load your firebox. If you are adding wood sooner than it being nothing but coals it's too early.

Latest posts