Back problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I can climb, chip, run, drive all day but as soon as I start lifting logs my back is sore for about a week. Anyone else have this issue? If I really push it, I can do damage. Its to the point that I need to buy some type of equipment to move and load logs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a slightly different problem i can bust ass all day doing whatever or do nothing at all but then when I sit down at the end of the day my back hurts like a mofo... don get it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I get that too. I can recover from that after I move some in the morning.

The sciatica is a pinched nerve and is aggravated when you bend and impact the nerve by sitting.

As far as the back lifting logs, it's just called fatigue and when you're sick of dealing with it, like I was 3 years ago, you buy a mini, leave the logs long and load with that. The guys love me for it and they're half my age, 52.

The back pain usually goes away so long as it's muscles that were beat up and strained. Disks and nerves need to be dealt with more professionally. Advil helps too.:cheers:

I've injured my back and inflamed the nerve. This is definitely not that. It feels like sore muscles.

Those go away. It's just staying in shape. If you go a time without lifting the big logs, those muscles will be sore. No different than if you decided to run 5 miles tomorrow. The next day, muscles you haven't used in a while but used excessively while running will be sore.

How much stretching does everyone do before starting work and after work? I've never done it and I think as I get older it is going to be key. I've started to think about taking yoga.

We do a lot of work for a local mine. So, we all have go be msha certified. A few years ago the instructor told us they have the miners do stretches in the elevator on the way down.
Ever since i start my day with a quick warm up. But have also considered starting the day with a lil yoga...i love those pants.

I had sciatica and lower back pain, with me it was to do with the glutes not working/working too hard one side. I've been very one sided as most are to a degree.
Yoga is good as is core work, abs are mostly irrelevant, it's the deep core that stabilise the spine.
Best trick I found was core/navel pulled in with ribs and shoulders open then all the lift with butt muscles, exhale on the lift.

I found two people on YouTube that helped me and it's worth watching every video they have

Dr Eric Goodman- Foundation training

Naudi Aguilar - Functional patterns

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Back