Back to milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Although I have been milling some small shorts mainly for craft use I haven't done anything big for more than 12 months. Anyway I've started a job to make some stairs and sculptures for a local city council authority at a themed children's playground at a local park. The park has a stream running though it which is a habitat for the endangered Wester Australian Long necked tortoise so the theme is this tortoise.

Here's a picture of the general scene.
My task is to build a set of stairs from a foot path to the top of that stone wall
Scene1.jpg

Here is a close up of the stone wall.
Scene2.jpg
The stone wall is the plinth for a short flying fox.
Where possible the city council has specified the use of local materials so the stairs are going to be made out of solid Lemon Scented Gum.

Here is candidate log 1.

Block1.jpg
The stairs are going to be made from two large (6ft long, 2 ft wide and 14" thick blocks and these will be stacked on top of each other and then the treads cut out in situ. Precision was not a requirement but I tried to get then reasonably regular in shape.

Here's the reference cut on the first block
1stcut.jpg
The wood is moderately green (and I reckon way too good for these stairs) but even so it is harder than dry hickory.
Additional problems are
- termites had already got their teeth into the cracks so there was clay inside the wood.
- to make things a bit more interesting some biting black ants had also taken up residence and they also got into my pants and shorts - i.e. not pleasant!

Then from the reference cut I had to make the 14" deep cut.
The width of that cut at the other end of the log was 38" which is close to the max width cut of the BIL Mill which is 39.5"
2ndcut.jpg
The deepest cut I have ever made before with the BIL mill was 12". When I made this mill I was going to limit the depth to 12" but at the last moment I up that to 20" and then I think it ended up at 18" - well I was glad I had done this because it made things a lot easier.

This block was now ready to put into place
Block1iplace.jpg
A tread will be cut with a beam bill in the top corner. The front of the bottom step will retain some natural edge.

Block 2 - this was a lot cleaner and a bit smaller so things speeded up a tad
Block2a.jpg
This block had to have there sides cut more or less square to each other
Block2b.jpg
I used the fork lift/loader to steady the block while I was cutting it as it was sitting on a curved edge in sand.
Block2c.jpg

By then I was tired as and decide to call it quits for the day.
More pics tomorrow.

Oh wait - one more, Here's a pic of the guys making the tortoise backs. As you can see the tortoise backs are quite big. The back of the biggest one will be 6 x 9ft. They are using truck tyres covered with crumbled car tyre rubber. My job will be to cut up and sort of carve some legs and the neck/head out of logs.
Turtles.jpg

Thanks

That log looks curly to me. I want pics of that lumber! Nice job, btw.
Yep it's beautiful wood. It's a very common tree here in Australia and as it is used as a park tree hundreds a day must be being cut down and they almost certainly all go to landfill.
I'll bring my better camera today and take some close ups for you.

Looks like a nifty little project. I bet the local kiddo's will enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to milling and making stuff, Bob is the best! Always a pleasure reading your threads. l agree with you about those steps....they will outlast mankind.

Not much time to take pics today as it turned into one of those days.
Shocking night's sleep because the fire alarm battery low alarm started chirping it 2 am
Finally at 4:30 I got up went down to my shop and got the tall ladder and pulled out the smoke alarm battery - then couldn't get back to sleep of course
Slept in and got there late - forklift/loader would not start - half an hour later it decides to start!
At 2pm I ran out of mix and while there was a gas station close by I had to drive home to get the lube.
While I was there I grabbed a drink and swapped the overalls for short pants as it was quite warm out in the sun.
Back at the site by 3pm when the tree lopper's lads turned up with the truck to take the forklift back to the yard and
eek.gif
couldn't find the forklift keys looked everywhere in the sawdust and then realised - at home in the overalls pocket.? Just about to drive home when I spotted an black dot in the sawdust right at my feet and sure enough the loader keys! Whew.
By then it was beer o'clock and the boss came round with his 4WD with the thermostatically controlled medical kit in the back.

Anyway here are a few pics

The stone wall the back of the stairs has to lean on is not vertical so I had to cut a 8.5º tapered back on the top block.
I could have used the mill but as no one would see this I did it free hand and it worked out fine
Also you can see the riser cut for one of the steps - I also did that free hand and it worked out really well

attachment.php

Prepping to cut out the tread - this one I messed up by restarting the cut in a separate place. DOH!
Part of this was being in a rush and part was not using the rail mill as planned.
The boss said to leave it and try and resurrect it tomorrow - if not we cut a new block.
attachment.php

Here are the stairs in situ, a concrete path is being lad along the top of the yellow sand.
attachment.php

You can see the black anti-termite cloth underneath.
attachment.php

This is going to be a kids activity bench - just a flat topped (and bottomed log)
attachment.php

There was a fair bit of Longihorn beetle infestation on the sapwood of this log.
When I peeled the mainly sapwood flitch off the top of the long there were dozens of minced larvae and bits of close to hatching beetles in the sawdust.
This recently beheaded beetle managed to crawl out of it hole and crawl about on top of the long for 10 minutes before ceasing to move.
How's the finish eh - I think I have this chain "singing" - it was a bit blunt for this cut.
attachment.php

Back on site today to finish the stairs. I took the sharp edge off of the corners with a router and then we just coach bolted the two big blocks together with 2 deeply recessed 10" long coach screws. The recesses are 5/4" in diameter and I will turn two plugs from the same wood to fill the recesses.

The next job was to make some what they call "kiddie tables". These are just logs with a flat top and bottom surfaces like this which is pretty straight forward

Bottom.jpg

Top.jpg

Here is close up of a top
Top2.jpg
I have to carve out a couple of round recessed into the top to hold "kids stuff"
I'm not asking too many questions - just following instructions

The left overs are being taken back to the tree loppers yard for firewood as I already have WAAAAAAAy to many logs to handle. When the city council guys came to inspect progress in the afternoon they asked me what it would take to mill a couple of coffee table top pieces from the left overs and I said $60 each so after 40 minutes work, including a quick touch up of the cutters in between the first and second cut here they are.

The smaller one it 2" and the other is 2 3/8" thick.

Slabs1.jpg
Not the best finish I've had during the last week but the guys were still well pleased.
Slabs2.jpg

When the city council guys came to inspect progress in the afternoon they asked me what it would take to mill a couple of coffee table top pieces from the left overs and I said $60 each
View attachment 348656

Wow You are too generous. When passersby insist on buying a slab from me, my standard asking price is $200 for a 7' long piece fresh off the saw. Granted your slabs are a bit shorter and your customer was kind of your boss, but I think you left some $$$ on the table. Pardon the pun!

Wow You are too generous. When passersby insist on buying a slab from me, my standard asking price is $200 for a 7' long piece fresh off the saw. Granted your slabs are a bit shorter and your customer was kind of your boss, but I think you left some $$$ on the table. Pardon the pun!
In terms of the price for a slab I definitely undervalued the product as they would easily fetch $200 each at a timber auction but (even though I hate to say it) there's a considerable chance of reciprocal favours of work in the future. My main qualm about offering the slabs so cheaply is that it potentially does other millers out of work. I looked at it purely from an hourly rate where I charge $65 an hour for milling and half that rate for travel time.

I'm not sure what your arrangement is with the council whether you are working directly for them or subbing to a contractor (guessing the latter?) and what the arrangement is there with public liability and workers comp whether you are directly employed with them covering those expenses or you are paying those yourself. $100/hr+GST would be closer to a fair price.

I'm not sure what your arrangement is with the council whether you are working directly for them or subbing to a contractor (guessing the latter?) and what the arrangement is there with public liability and workers comp whether you are directly employed with them covering those expenses or you are paying those yourself. $100/hr+GST would be closer to a fair price.
Technically I was working for the tree lopper who has the contract for my job with the Council. It was the Council's log and I had already been paid to setup my gear and the log and mill some pieces off it by the tree lopper. All it took was two extra passes with the CSM. It would have been a whole other ball game if it was my log, and I had to drive to the place, set up my gear and the log, and then make the cut.

Southern hemisphere smoke alarms start chirping at 2 am. Northern hemisphere at 3 am.:) (different wood...same smoke alarms!)

Not milling of any kind but it's related to this job so I thought I'd post it here.
One of tasks on this job is some chainsaw carving of some tortoise parts (necks, legs feet) out of logs. Apart from a few dodgy seats I made 30 years ago I've never really carved anything with a chainsaw before but like other stuff I'm up for learning something new.

Firstly I roughed out the parts using my MS 441 with a 25" bar and pico chain which gets me part of the way there but when I tried using it as a carver pretty soon I realised I needed a proper chainsaw carver.
Also after wielding the 441 for about an hour in the various contortions and orientations needed for carving my arms were like jelly.

Anyway the boss has bought me an Arbortech carving wheel and a brand spanking new MS211 with a 12" carving bar and 1/4" chain.
Here's a comparison 441 I have been using to roughly cut the body parts out of logs
attachment.php

Here it is alongside the bosses 880 with the 36" bar
It looks puny but the MS211 is a gutsy little saw.
attachment.php

Just for fun I had to make the obligatory man coming out of a tree
attachment.php

Even though the MS211 weighs 2/3rd of the 441, after 4 hours of use my arms are also right now pretty tired.
It's a lot of fun though, much more than I thought.

The one on the left doesn't conjure up thoughts of a tortoise.

Show it to your wife and see what she says.

Mr. HE:cool:

The one on the left doesn't conjure up thoughts of a tortoise.
If you are referring to a one-eyed trouser snake then the "snake" part is correct. The type of tortoise found in the area of the creek/park is called the Oblong or Long necked tortoise. It was endangered for a while because a lot of them were killed by motor vehicles. The other cause of death was directly by humans because their head looks very snake like.

The tortoises were assembled on Wednesday and yesterday the rubber construction guy was there laying the rubber backs. As well as the black another layer of coloured rubber is put over the top.
A bark/lwoodchip mulch layer covers the sand up to the underneath of the arms and legs,
This tortoise is 24 ft long from nose to tail and the neck weighs about 1200 lbs
T1.jpg

Another "element" of the job was to cut a "dish" in this flat topped log which I did with a router.
Dish4.jpg

This completes my involvement with this particular playground. Next week I start on the next playground which is much simpler, just flat topping a bunch of logs for a variety of purposes.

Back