Back to milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather has delayed the start of the next playground but I went past the Tortoise park today and got these couple of pics.
The rubber back has been completed so you can see what they look like.
I also like the way that the bark has turned green after a lot of rain but within weeks it will turn red and then fall off.
I was raining and I only had my cell phone so sorry about the quality of the photos.

Finished1.jpg Finished2.jpg

I started milling the logs for the next playground a couple of days ago.

Apart from one log which has to have handholds/steps cut on it the other 6 logs just need to be flat topped so kids can walk on them more easily, nothing difficult milling wise. It's just fun to use the BIL mill again and make a bit of sawdust.

Here is the general location where I am milling at the tree loppers yard.
There are 3 Spotted Gums, 2 Jarrah and 2 Western AUIstralian Red Gums to work on

GeneralView.jpg

The grain on this Spotted Gum was quite nice.
Way too good for playground timber IMHO.
Spottygrain2.jpg

This one reminded me of the aliens on "Close encounters of the 3rd kind"
Aliens.jpg

This is the log that will have the steps cut into it.
The log is Jarrah, also waaaaaay to good to use in a playground
Jarrh1.jpg
This is fun stuff to cut as, unlike the Spotted gum which gums the chain up, Jarrah cuts very clean and is relatively soft
The full width dip across the log was where the mill got hung up on the joint between my two sets of log rails. I need to undo the rail bolts at that point and realign the rails.
The red dust brings back strong memories of my Dad who often would come come home from work covered in this.
Jarrh2.jpg

Back