Back up chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just seeing what you guys think about getting a back up/2nd chipper. Once in a while my model 90 has an issue and goes down for a day and i could use a back up. It would also be sweet to tow a chipper behind my pickup once in a while and maybe put a dump hoist underneath the bed to do small trimming and removals with a second crew while my chip truck is elsewhere. For me I think it would definitely be easier to have 2 2-man crews do $800 dollar jobs on the same day than my 4 guys doing 1 $1600 job. Ideally I would love one of those chipper box combo trailers but they are hard to come by.

I am thinking something CHEAP like this WOODCHUCK BRUSH/WOOD CHIPPER

I have never used a chuck n duck before but I'd rather not spend another 10g's on a used 9" hydraulic feed. No way I would get anything over 50hp either due to CARB regs. I like the big removals as I have done a few crane jobs lately but no where near ready to buy a huge chipper and that would tempt me to buy a nice roll off truck too! 100g's in equip right there. It's not good to spend money that I don't have :)

It's definitely a good idea, if your main chipper goes down it can put you on hold. It's one of if not the most important piece of equipment you can have other than your climbing gear. Out where you live I wouldn't be able to survive. When you say less than 50hp I couldn't imagine doing it with less than 250hp. Especially on crane jobs. Chuck and ducks if running properly are faster on straight small diameter limbs than self feeding chippers by far. Nothing wrong with them, amongst all the big chippers we use we have a bandit chuck and duck, it's probably ten years old has a diesel motor. Why I have it tho is for pine trees and other small stuff I send a small crew out to tackle. Unless you are feeding a big chipper with a loader a chuck and duck will out run a self feeder on things like pine limbs.

They all are dangerous. I'm just a little more careful who I send out with the chuck and duck.

Thanks, Matt. We are a small company and I make most of my money on pruning. There are a lot of hacks and illegals out here so there are a lot of customers willing to pay a fair price for ISA pruning. All that to say I don't need a big chipper. Moreover, the CARB regulations make it near impossible to find a large one that is used so you really have to shell out big bucks to buy one.

I typically don't make much on big removals although I am starting to get a little crane happy now :) Beastmaster is going to take out a big euc for me on Friday. 3rd crane job for me ever! Just did my second one last week. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing pics of your sweet machines. looks like I might be getting an old chuck n duck.

Thanks, Matt. We are a small company and I make most of my money on pruning. There are a lot of hacks and illegals out here so there are a lot of customers willing to pay a fair price for ISA pruning. All that to say I don't need a big chipper. Moreover, the CARB regulations make it near impossible to find a large one that is used so you really have to shell out big bucks to buy one.

I typically don't make much on big removals although I am starting to get a little crane happy now :) Beastmaster is going to take out a big euc for me on Friday. 3rd crane job for me ever! Just did my second one last week. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing pics of your sweet machines. looks like I might be getting an old chuck n duck.

They are fine machines, tried and true. The plus side to them is there simplicity, Simple to build simple to fix. I completely understand why you operate like you do, I give you guys credit. I really mean it when I say I'm not sure i could survive where you are. To many regulations and headaches. We just rebuilt a 93 ford f-350 with the 7.3 liter diesel and it's no problem to ride down the road with no cat or muffler blowing coal out the pipe. It's the norm around here for guys with diesel pickups. Here there is no emissions on diesels and chippers don't have to be inspected or have plates.

They are fine machines, tried and true. The plus side to them is there simplicity, Simple to build simple to fix. I completely understand why you operate like you do, I give you guys credit. I really mean it when I say I'm not sure i could survive where you are. To many regulations and headaches. We just rebuilt a 93 ford f-350 with the 7.3 liter diesel and it's no problem to ride down the road with no cat or muffler blowing coal out the pipe. It's the norm around here for guys with diesel pickups. Here there is no emissions on diesels and chippers don't have to be inspected or have plates.

And there are goats walking around everyone's yard and there's a good chance if you screamed out HEY JIMBOB at the diner at least one person would say WHAT maybe 2 !

And there are goats walking around everyone's yard and there's a good chance if you screamed out HEY JIMBOB at the diner at least one person would say WHAT maybe 2 !

I don't live in a rich community, more or less the outskirts of high end communities. within 10 miles of either direction there are a few communities that you can not even think of purchasing a house endless you willing to spend an easy million. If i did i couldn't be in business. we have and run way to much machinery such as a tub grinder i have to live on commercial land. So it was a good choice to put my house and business facility on 25 acres. It was a retired farm. The business is on the opposite end as my house i drive a golf cart from my house to my shop in the morning guy traded it to me for some easy tree work. Saves a lot of $$ on the commute. I love where we live people won't walk up my driveway to try and sell me stuff endless the feel like taking about a mile hike. Plowing the snow sucks but the skid loaders make quick work of it. From the road nothing can be seen just the gate that says the dogs can make it to the fence in less than 5 seconds can you.

I've shelled out some real coin on security we have close to 20 cameras 5 of which are pan tilt zoom. The main reason for doing this was all the people that stop in to load wood like lumber buyers and what not that I've never met before. Every few months we bring in a tub grinder for few days and take out all of our chips the local waste place buys them. its not good money but it gets rid of it. around 700$ for a 45 foot container full sometimes 800$

Last edited:
Try finding a used Bandit 65xl. 6" machine would go well with your smaller truck.

even the little auto feeding vermeer isn't to terrible, very weak motor but it will auto feed its way through stuff. i see them used a lot for less than 3-4k.

Latest posts

Back