Bad main bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I bought some 621's on eBay hoping to get some good piston/cylinders off of them. One saw was marked with bad main bearings, so I thought I might be able to salvage the P/C.

Well, I couldn't even get the piston out of the cylinder! I had to use two prybars and then put my full weight on them to get it to come off. When the piston was almost half out of the cylinder, I could see it. The cage had broken and a small piece was between the cylinder and the piston. I just kept on the pressure because I didn't know of any other way to get the parts separated.

After it finally came off, you could see on the top of the piston where the piece of the cage had been. It must have gotten sucked up the transfer and pounded on the top of the piston for awhile before lodging between the piston and cylinder somehow. I wonder why it didn't blow out the exhaust?In fact, the only mark on the cylinder is below the transfers.

This is the first saw where I saw the kind of damage a bad main with a broken cage can do. Pretty neat, but in a sad way. I thought I would get more usable parts than I did.:cry:

If the notch in the cylinder is below the ringline, can I still salvage the cylinder since it wouldn't affect compression? Smooth it out in honing and use it??

bama said:
If the notch in the cylinder is below the ringline, can I still salvage the cylinder since it wouldn't affect compression? Smooth it out in honing and use it??

Yes, it would be perfectly fine to run. Just make sure you smooth it flush with (or below) the rest of the cylinder bore - you don't want a burr sticking out and interfering with your piston in any way.

Latest posts

Back