Bad neighbor!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor had 22 trees taken down in one shot on his 3/4 acre lot. He did not like the leaves in the fall and he was going to do some half-baked landscaping and the trees did not fit his plan. Anyway I agreed to have two trees that were on the border taken down to - and he paid for it. Anyway about three times in the next 1.5 years he asks me to remove some of the other trees - the ones that I have written about here.

Then one weekday morning at 5:30am - here comes the crazy neighbor's wife. I was actually lying in bed as the alarm had gone off and had to put some pants on to answer the door. Well wacko's wife asks me to give them permission to take down a cherry tree on the corner of our property lines - as it screws up his master landscaping plan. The tree trunk was about 3-4' inside the border line, and while some of the branches on one side went over the border - he wanted to whole tree down. I was a bit PO'd that she had come over to early and told her no, that I would not give permission to take down the tree and that I like that tree quite a bit.

Flash forward 45 minutes or so - and here comes her husband knocking on my door. He is a bit agitated and he cannot believe that I would not give him permission to take the tree down. He wants to show me how this tree is ruining his plan and why it must come down. He told me that it was within his right to take it down and that he had talked with a lawyer who confirmed that. I told him that he could trim any of the branches that overhang his property, but that he was off-base and full of it if he thought he could take down the tree. He couldn't believe that I did not go along with his plan and was questioning me if I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. I dropped some 4 letter words, told him what I thought of his mental stability and told him to get the hell out of my yard. Then I head off to work.

Flash forward to that night - I was telling my Dad about the morning encounter when my parents stopped by that night. My Dad went out with me to see the tree so he could find out what the guy was talking about. I went out to the tree and only half the tree was left:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Property line looking one way:
attachment.php

Property line looking the other way:
attachment.php

The area was all cleaned up - could not see many chips at all. I was PO'd and went to talk to a neighbor who is retired. He heard the chainsaw and saw that there was a tree company there during the day. I called the Police - the responding Officer shows up, checks it out and then goes to talk to the neighbor. After about 15 minutes - he comes back to me and tells me that the guy is insistent that he is in the right and that a lawyer confirmed it - the Officer told him that his lawyer was full of it and that he had no right to tresspass on my property to cut down 1/2 the tree. He questioned the guy about what he was thinking - telling the guy that you just screwed a relationship up with a neighbor. Now instead of having someone to look out for your house, collect mail on vacation, etc. - that guy is done with you. The officer was right - I have not spoken to him in 4.5 years since he did that. Well that is not true - I asked him to confirm the border again, and when he did I asked him why he was dumping his riding lawnmowers grass clippings on my compost pile and told him to cut the crap.

I thought about bringing the neighbor to small claims court, but dropped it. What I figure is that he had this planned and that his wife thought oh no - I better go over and get permission for what my husband has planned. When I said no - he just went ahead with the plan with the tree service he had contracted with.
No offense but your neighbors landscape looks like ****, and what the hell did you let him touch that tree for , the property lines is where he can prune too , if he can do it a fashion that will damage the tree or potentially kill it , so he is 100% wrong you should facking sue him, trees even wild trees have value he will never dream of touching your landscape again and wow what a point that would make , theres a point of being a good neighbor than theres a line of now becoming a pushover..

Great neighbor...not.

Hey why don't you have that neighbor cut those 3 by the swingset?C'mon those kids could get hurt around them....I kid of course.Sorry to hear about your problems.

I'll post a pic on Saturday - up early tomorrow and out before good light. Back after sun goes down. There are new growth shoots off of the cut.

No offense but your neighbors landscape looks like ****, and what the hell did you let him touch that tree for , the property lines is where he can prune too ..

Oh I didn't let him touch the tree - he did it without my permission and without my knowledge. He must of had it all set up with a tree service already - as he did not do it himself and my other neighbor saw the tree company and heard a chipper.

His landscaping is sucky too - both in execution and design. The guy went down to the Cape to get his Arborvitae plants at a Home Depot down there, as that particular species was not sold in central MA, as that species was not considered hardy enough for our zone. Well half of them died the first year and then a bunch more the second year. I think he has replaced them with Arborvitae's that can withstand the winters here.

Last edited:
My Dad went out with me to see the tree so he could find out what the guy was talking about. I went out to the tree and only half the tree was left:
The area was all cleaned up - could not see many chips at all. I was PO'd and went to talk to a neighbor who is retired. He heard the chainsaw and saw that there was a tree company there during the day.

Oooh, that tree service might have been in a world of hurt if you had proceeded against them.

I didn't specify it in the original post - but I did call around some of the tree companies and the one that he used the previous work he had done. I explained to all of them - where I lived, who the neighbor was and asked if they did the work. I explained that it was done without my permission. I explained that I was not interested in going after anyone, but let them know that this guy was putting them in a bad position, didn't give them all the info and that if he called them again - they should avoid him like a STD.

Here is a picture from today of what the tree looks like where one of the two main trunks was removed

attachment.php

Here is a closeup showing the healing:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Oh thats lovely ,now you need to remove the regrowth every year or not , you should let it grow than when it tears off an smashes his Leyland cypress you'll get at least some satisfaction ..

pour some strong mixed pramatol on some of the cypresses... then he replants and they will most likely die too...

I know I have had some of the same problems. I have a neighbor that we took the fence down around to put up new as it was old and rusty. We rolled it up and leaned it against a tree to pick up later. This had to be about 300lbs of old barbed wire. The guy stole it and sold it for scrap. So instead of putting up nice high tensil fence we are putting up woven and spraying it with 24-d every year for weeds.

After cutting down a 35-40' tall weed tree on monday with my new MS-361, All was cut up and put away in the back by the corner of the property by the chain link fence that seperates the town property from my property.
The base of the tree was aprox 14" diameter.

The tree is on the opposite side of my backyard from his, I put all the branches and cut up logs into the back of my property across my backyard where the tree was from.

There is also a rock wall that seperates the neighbors property from mine, followed by the hedges that's mine which seperates the backyard from his.

My uncle (red shirt in the pic) who was helping with the tree cutting, sees my neighbor looking out of his kitchen door at us as we're cutting the tree down and looked like they were being nosy.

In the pictures, the neighbors backyard is in the direction of where my back faced when I took the pictures.

Last night I get home from work (2 days later), open my garage door and come out of there with a vaccum to clean my car interior.
He parks his black Acura TL, gets out and confronts me and starts telling me stuff like he saw me cutting the tree down and putting the cut up logs and branches near his property line and that he has informed the town and the building inspector.

I told him what does being near your property have anything to do with yours, it's still on my property. And if you have a problem with that, call the police.

He then says "I'm telling you as a neighbor" I said "whatever" and he walked away.

Last October, he told me where to park my pickup truck on the street!
And points out to his property line because I parked my pickup truck in his "spot" which is acutally more on my front lawn side. There is no assigined parking here, just open to all, it's a big Cul-de-sac type.
And he points out his property line divding my lawn from his...I'm like property lines does not dicate where you park.

I told my father's friend who lives down the street what he said to me, he nodded his head big time and told me the town owns between 4 and 6 feet of the front lawn from the street curb for garbage pickup and underground power lines/pipes. He told me to call him when my neighbor confronts me again...but unfortuntly he's at work at the time.

Looks like the next time he confronts me will be harassment...

5+ stars this is great :popcorn:

I have allot of idiots in this neck of the woods too

pretty nice healing for such a big scar, i concur about the tear off future LOL,

I see you left him some nice Eye candy drain pipe ect...

sounds like the crazy woman down the road from me. When I moved in my place last May, the entire lot was a wreck. There had been several ice storms that nobody bothered cleaning up my yard after, and probably 10 years worth of uncontrolled underbrush. Since moving in, I have taken care of nearly all of the problem trees, and have gotten the underbrush in the back piled up to burn (probably 3 tri-axle dump trucks worth). All of my neighbors are absolutely loving what I have done. One neighbor has even let me use his dump trailer, skid steer, and mini excavator. All work was approved in writing by the HOA president (neighbor who's equipment I am using is the president).

Then there is the crazy neighbor up the street, thank God she isn't next door. She is the type that typically starts drinking wine around lunch, and goes the entire day. This woman has all sorts of camera's set up recording everything that goes on, and spends entirely too much time at her window looking through a telescope at what everyone is doing. She also has a habbit of sitting on her porch with an extend range mic so that she can listen in on other peoples conversations. She sent me a certified letter saying that she was going to sue me for breach of HOA policies and report me to the president, and on and on and on. I, in a polite manner, told her where she could go, and to mind her own business. Since this occured, we now have a new game just to mess with her. A few of us gather in one front yard or another, making sure that we are within site & earshot of her super mic, and enjoy a beer, and plan various gatherings to which she is not invited. The other day, the HOA president neighbor even made a point to bring up that she, the champion of the HOA policies, hasn't bothered to pay her association dues in over 3 years, and that he figured he would just have the street light in front of her house cut off, being that she doesn't want to contribute to the fund that pays for them. Needless to say, she is getting more and more PO'd, and the rest of us are laughing more and more each day.

I see you left him some nice Eye candy drain pipe ect...

Yup, my special pile of old equipment and various yard crap is now facing him everyday as he leaves his driveway. It wasn't that way before - but I figure it is my little way of frigging with him.

Actually going to get rid of the old JD ride on mower and two old Ariens snow throwers under that tarp this spring. They are going on Craigslist for cheap.

Labrax, you a much better person than I am in this matter. I'm afraid I wouldn't be showing much restraint in going after this guy.
I don't know why the cop didn't asrrest him for the trespass and property damaged, let the porsecutor and court system figure it out.
Not one shrub/bush or whatever he planted would have Triox ground sterilant or Crossbow hericide sprayed on them or salted. He wouldn't enjoy my night activities. This guy definetly deserves the ole fill the hypodermic syringe up with fox pee/coyote pee or skunki scent, you can order them off any trapping supply house. The syringe you can get at any feed store or Tractor Supply, inject it right in the door seals and in the interior of his beloved vehicle, he'll never get the smell out. You can pull valve stems completely out of the rim using vice grips, trust me I know, did it right in front of a punk who thought it was funny to cut me and the wife off numerous times, endangering us and the kids when they were small. Followed him to a mall parking lot, got out of the truck, opened the tool box, got the vice grips and yelled for him to come over and watch. He watched from a safe distance as I yanked all four of his valve stems out. I dared him to call the cops or just come on over closer and talk to me about it, never heard a thing about it, I think he must have realized he derserved it, or thought he was dealing with a stark raving lunatic.

Labrax, you a much better person than I am in this matter. I'm afraid I wouldn't be showing much restraint in going after this guy.
I don't know why the cop didn't asrrest him for the trespass and property damaged, let the porsecutor and court system figure it out.
Not one shrub/bush or whatever he planted would have Triox ground sterilant or Crossbow hericide sprayed on them or salted. He wouldn't enjoy my night activities. This guy definetly deserves the ole fill the hypodermic syringe up with fox pee/coyote pee or skunki scent, you can order them off any trapping supply house. The syringe you can get at any feed store or Tractor Supply, inject it right in the door seals and in the interior of his beloved vehicle, he'll never get the smell out. You can pull valve stems completely out of the rim using vice grips, trust me I know, did it right in front of a punk who thought it was funny to cut me and the wife off numerous times, endangering us and the kids when they were small. Followed him to a mall parking lot, got out of the truck, opened the tool box, got the vice grips and yelled for him to come over and watch. He watched from a safe distance as I yanked all four of his valve stems out. I dared him to call the cops or just come on over closer and talk to me about it, never heard a thing about it, I think he must have realized he derserved it, or thought he was dealing with a stark raving lunatic.

or thought if he said anything you were going after his 'valve stem' with the vice grips... :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cure for wandering pets that does not get the pet but the owner.

Go buy a copy of Fur Fish and Game magazine. In the back of the magazine find a mail order trapping supply house that sells skunk scent and buy some. Catch the offending animal and using gloves give the critter a good dose. Send them home. Soak gloves in bleach to get rid of the smell and get rid of all evidence. Repeat until pet does not show up again. This works, I know it does. :)

Not one shrub/bush or whatever he planted would have Triox ground sterilant or Crossbow hericide sprayed on them or salted.

Yeah, the industrial roundup from my buddy who owns a nursery was a thought for his new plantings - wife talked me out of it. The guy is a loon and I did not want to escalate it - he literally is a postal worker (FWIW). Its funny - my new pup barks and barks at him and his family - but not the other surrounding neighbors - she must be on to something.

Fertilize with organic hog manure or chicken crap on your fence line if the prevailing wind blows his way. Advertise a Mint Stihl 090 for 50.00 on CL and use his number.lol He'll get to talk to alot of AS member's. Maybe a Plymouth Hemi Super Bird for 2500.00 in immaculate condition.lol It'll give his wife something to do, some member's mention signing them up for all the junk mail you can.

Back