Baileys 039\390 engine kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be able to come up with quite a bit of info with a "search". I see their price has come up considerably.

I have been ''searching'' but nothing very recent comes up. Several post were about people that got the complete assembly and still needed to tear it down to seal it up because of sealant not applied properly and seals not seated. If they are no more concerned about their product than this what is the rest of the engine like, bet they don't fit rings\pistons very close. I hope by now that Baileys has corrected the quality of these units.

That was exactly my line of thought when I was thinking about getting one. My 290 is still sitting in a box, waiting to hopefully find a used oem some day. I spotted one some time back, then got busy and forgot about it. When I remembered, too late, I've been kicking myself ever since.

Some people say the quality of the materials isn't too bad but, as you already know, they need to be diassembled & done properly. There's been reports of circlips not seated, seals improperly installed, excess casting flash, threads need to be re-tapped, impulse hose connection loose or non-existent, etc. As you stated, the sealer needs to be cleaned off & properly reapplied.

Hopefully, somebody will post up a longevity report.

I have been ''searching'' but nothing very recent comes up. Several post were about people that got the complete assembly and still needed to tear it down to seal it up because of sealant not applied properly and seals not seated. If they are no more concerned about their product than this what is the rest of the engine like, bet they don't fit rings\pistons very close. I hope by now that Baileys has corrected the quality of these units.

There more or less always are concerns with aftermarket engines or engine parts, as you just can't trust the quality and consistency.

I placed an order for the engine yesterday, free shipping for new customers. I called and asked every question I thought of. I asked how many returns the have this year, and I asked the same question on two different times I called and got the same reply. This year they have sold something like 900 plus and have two returned. I know they could tell me anything but they do have a year warranty.
I have enough parts to build this saw with the old style screw in caps or build it with the floppy caps, which way would you put it back together.

Earlier this year my dad was grunting around about wanting his MS310 going again ( I dont know why when he has a 460) I told him about the LB from baileys making it a 390. He dropped the dough and I threw it together. I did Have to seal it up. Runs decent. After a few tanks it started to give a little more power but still not to his expectations I guess. Do the 290-310-390 series all run the same model carb?

I used one and posted a thread on it. I think it was on the other site though! Jury is still out on mine. Ran good for a little while and is having some trouble now. Just might be a tuning issue. Mine was assembled very poorly and the flywheel side seal was not installed properly. Ill see if I can post some pics up. Wish I would have posted the thread here but I believe thats when we were having all the trouble here.

I've built a lot of this series of saw but never purchased a whole engine. I usually use the original crank and bearings, pan, and sometimes the piston pin and bearing as well. So essentially, I use the aftermarket cylinder, piston and rings. If one has to tear the thing down to check the assembly, I don't see the cost benefit of buying a whole engine. Many of the cylinder kits come with a whole pile of things (half of which I don't use) and at significantly less cost. Of all the saws I've rebuilt, I have had very few that had bad bearings. Mostly just scuffed pistons. The 1127 series saws are more robust than many would suspect and a lot of them are in use daily by tree service companies. Putting the 49mm cylinder in to replace the 45 or 46mm cylinders makes a significant power increase for no added weight. Do a muffler mod too. (ten minutes), pull the carb limiters and retune. I've sold every saw I've rebuilt and have a buyer for one that's still in parts and pieces on my bench. This one is my "rat rod" and I'm using all the burned, dull, cracked and ugly parts on it. The future owner is aware of this and said it will meet his needs perfectly. It's the only one of this series I've used an MS290 cylinder on. (I bought the cylinder by mistake on eBay about six months ago). This saw will sell about $50 less than a nice one would.

They are a very tough saw. Most people think you need a pro saw to cut firewood...dang AS, but these will hold up to years of abuse just fine....

Latest posts

Back