Bailey's 2007 = DOLMAR!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Dolmar will lose out, not only on a large amount of sales, but more importantly on the recognition on a national level that they badly need.:deadhorse:

It doesn't seem to be hurting Stihl sales by limiting them to walk in dealers...

Most people recognize the number 1 and 2 brand of saw in the US.

Problem is, those that are actually buying the higher end PRO saws also know about all the saws. The type of customers that we like to see are the ones who have done a little research. I'd like to see someone come in because they have heard about Dolmar and are curious as to what they look and feel like.

The guy who walks in and says "Who makes Dolmars, I never heard of them, are they like a Stihl?" takes a little more time and effort and will still go and look at the other saws before making a decision. If I had my choice I'd prefer the first customer over the second. We like to see customers that are serious about their equipment and with the internet....their isn't much of an excuse for not doing a little browsing.

I can't speak for all dealers but I'm sure there are a lot that think the same.

It doesn't seem to be hurting Stihl sales by limiting them to walk in dealers...
It might not be hurting Stihl, but to say they could not benefit from E-Comerce is a stretch. Husky might be in deep trouble if Stihl decided to go with e commerce, which the market will eventually force them to do.
Besides your comparing a company that almost no professional has heard of, that has very few dealers to a company that every professional knows about and has dealers in every town for the most part.

bwalker said:
Looks like Dolmar will lose out, not only on a large amount of sales, but more importantly on the recognition on a national level that they badly need.

Don't think they would have sold too many at MSLP. But you are right it would have given them the brand recognition they so sorely lack at this time.
Would also have sent potential buyers into the local dealers who could very easily make that sale.

TooTall999 said:
It doesn't seem to be hurting Stihl sales by limiting them to walk in dealers

Yes but Stihl is a well known recognized brand and Dolmar isn't.

Most "Pros" are not researching on the net, they come into the local shop they know and are told by the dealer which saws they should try.

I picked up Dolmar about 3 months ago, one of my "Pros" that makes log homes came in to buy a 372 Husky and a couple hundred feet of chain. He has always used the 372 and nothing else until one year ago he bought a 350 Husky.

I talked him into a 5100 Dolmar thet would be used for windows, etc. smaller stuff. He came back 3 weeks later and picked up a 7900. He said the guys would fight over the 5100 and wanted to switch over to dolmar all the way with the 2 saws.

Bottom line is the "Pros" in my area, mostly listen to me! If I get a lot of units in for repair I tell the guys, I want them to be happy and that is what they expect. Lowes or Home Depot cant offer that, they cant offer the personal talk I do, in some ways it seems like the show "Cheers" at times, thats why people come back.

I dont know where I went with that and why at this point but O well! hhah

have a good night, I'm off to bed.

I agree that a good dealer can sell anything. The problem is most dealers are lazy! What I mean is it is easy to a have a rack full of Stihl or Husky saws with prices on them and the customer just goes over pics one up and the dealer rings it up. With a Dolmar Solo even Jonsered the dealer has to sell them on it. and most are lazy and do not want to spend 10-30 min to show the features or benefits of these products. I have seen it many many times as a former rep for dolmar. It is sad but true! E sales look good at first but here in MO. the once proud husky dealers are getting fewer and actually Jonsered mostly but some dolmar is taking there place. When I reopened my dealership I turned down husky because of there practices and I am very happy with my dolmar sales which have been increasing every year, and now I am getting people comming in asking about dolmar.

Okay, I've been reading this thread with great interest in doing my research for a new saw, and had to post. Here's my story.

I have 26 acres and a home in northern MI, with about 15 acres being mature hardwoods. I tried to get the property selective cut off, to try to get some undergrowth growing to benefit the wildlife. To make a long story short, I found a logger, signed a contract, he took some of the trees, left the tops, and then filed for bankruptcy to sneak in before they changed the law.
I ended up with a mess, and zero cash. I'm not rich, and I'm trying to get the best equipment I can afford to clean up the mess and take a few more trees down to improve the view from the home. I got the chipper,but my old McCullough was more dangerous then helpful in cutting up the tops. Which led me to this site to see what you guys like.
I've narrowed it down to a 346xp or a 5100 with an 18 inch bar and just went to take a look at a 5100 at the nearest dealer. I had more information then the dealer on the saw from just reading this site. The dude had to bust open the wrapping on the Dolmar brochures to hand me one. He had no idea about Dolmar's policy on supporting the brick and mortar dealers, and has never had anyone even ask about the Dolmar line of chainsaws. He only stocked the line trimmers, and had zero parts. Screw that, I might as well buy one on line(their out there for sale) if I'm not going to get much dealer support anyway. I tried to support the little guy, but Dolmar has to do a much better job getting the name out there, so the dealer network will respond.
As of this moment, I still haven't made up my mind on which saw to buy.

Well, i guess if you never buy saws from the small guy he will never have parts or even stock them. He may not know the quality of the saw until he gets yours in and can take a look at it.

Welcome to AS. Sorry to hear about your logging fiasco. Did you by any chance consult a forester before you decided to have your property logged?

Yes I did, I went through the local state forestry office who came out and walked the property and wrote a report for me. But and it's a big but, they don't make logger recommendations. I not blaming no one but myself. All my life I trusted people and in this case I got burned and from what I hear, it's a pretty big problem in northern Michigan. I'll live and learn a bit from this one. It could of been worse, the low-life could of dropped a tree on my house.:laugh:

It's all good. I'll get out in the woods which I love to do, I'll have firewood coming out of my ears, and I'll get some excercise.

Just to show that this stuff goes both ways.................

I actually owe Baileys a thank you, and I mean it sincerely. A guy called up today to ask if I had any 7900's in stock. Yes, I said, 4 or 5 in stock. He came up and bought one and I asked him how he heard about us. He said that he found us on the Dolmar website, but he originally found out about the saw from the Baileys site. So, he checked to see if he could find one locally, as he prefered to buy one that way.

Now if I was one of those clowns who didn't stock saws, or never opened the literature pack, he would have been as disillusioned as some of you guys who have made an effort to buy the product, only to run into a "dealer" making no effort to sell it.

As chance would have it, later today our Dolmar rep stopped in, (dropped off the calenders and geez, is that the best looking model they could find?). Anyway, I told him the story about the 7900. Growing a good dealer network is like growing good tomatoes. You have to go in and do some weeding. As this effort to improve the Dolmar dealer base continues, some of these guys will have to step up and be a real dealer or be canceled. And as Dolmar's popularity grows, the better dealers will want to carry it. It just takes time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the seeming lack of interest in the saws is not something that is exclusive to Dolmar. I've seen many posts complaining about much the same thing with some Husky and Stihl dealers. Usually it's a store that is primarily lawn and garden focused with little interest in the saws beyond the smaller homeowner models.

Most people recognize the number 1 and 2 brand of saw in the US.

The guy who walks in and says "Who makes Dolmars, I never heard of them, are they like a Stihl?" takes a little more time and effort and will still go and look at the other saws before making a decision. .

that was me. went to buy a stihl. i have a local lawn dealer I like a LOT.

guy tried to sell me a Dolmar. Came, read this site, joined, and now am a VERY happy dolmar owner.

so far my dealer in bf nowhere in the middle of Idaho gets parts quicker on Dolmar then the local autoparts guy gets chevy air filters.

Not the same % as it was 10 - 15 years ago but that deals with almost everything.

The only Co. we deal with that has everything togeter is Honda, prices went up this year as far as mSRP as well as dealer cost but they actually gave us a little better percentage.

Husky has gone to a new system and unless you are a big guy buying 100k+ selling everything they put their name on you dont get very good treatment. Doesnt matter if you buy $75k a year from them selling mostly handheld, if you dont get into mowers and their Z's or generators they wont support you by putting you business name on their site.

Stihl did the same thing by having their dealers get the best discount if you only sold their stuff with no competeing equipment. I guess its not the same but coming close.

It just seems manufactures are making it harder for dealers to offer what they want and give their customers an option.

I agree (we're a honda dealer also) that honda has it together for the most part, but they are the only ones besides husky that force us to service big box customers. As it is, anything we sell that big box sells we service, but it gets lower priority compared to our customers who bought from us. As for husky...they make you buy the Z's? we have serveral but ya can be total sourse without commercial turf if i understand correctly. Commercial is separate from total source.

Latest posts

Back