Baileys ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 25' roll of WoodsmanPro ripping chain , from Baileys a couple of weeks ago , it has arrived at last , turned it all into loops today , I'm gunna try it out tomorrow , I figured it was easier to buy ripping chain , instead of making it , it takes to much time , id rather be cutting timber instead of grinding chain . I also got a few other things , including a woodsmanPro rivet spinner from them , bloody marvelous , I was using one of those mend n break setups , I only use it to break the chain now , heaps easier to join the chain with the woodsmanPro rivet spinner . I also bought some Carlton chain from a bloke in New South Wales in Australia (I missed out on the special at Baileys) It turns out that apart from the angles , the WoodsmanPro chain and the Carlton chain are identical , tried the Carlton chain out on a log today 3/8 x .063 semi chisel , works well so far , I normally use Stihl full chisel chain , but this chain has become to dear , also full chisel too sensitive to dirt n stuff , the Carlton chain is about $425au 100' and Stihl $570au 100' , I will be watchin Bailys for the specials from now on. I will be Ripping some Blackwood logs tomorrow , been cuttin up quite a bit of stuff recently , a bit of Yellow Mytle , Sheoak , Blackwood , Banksia and tomorrow the rest of the Blackwood after that I will start on the pile of cypress I have . unfortunately I was unable to take any photos of my recent hack ups , hopefully I will be able to tomorrow. Cheers for now . PS anyone got anything to say about the WoodsmanPro ripping chain , I would like to here. Thanks Regards Manfred

Only good things to say about it here. Its half the price of Granberg chain and IMO its just as good. Im hoping to be able to afford a breaker and spinner soon so I can buy my chain by the roll too. I recently purchased a grinder that will be used mostly for the ripping chains. Should be pretty cool to take several chains to the log with me and save time as well.:cheers:

Chain grinder

Only good things to say about it here. Its half the price of Granberg chain and IMO its just as good. I'm hoping to be able to afford a breaker and spinner soon so I can buy my chain by the roll too. I recently purchased a grinder that will be used mostly for the ripping chains. Should be pretty cool to take several chains to the log with me and save time as well.:cheers:

Hi Dusty I see Baileys now have the same chain grinder as mine , a Chinese copy of the Oregon 511a , excellent machine , works well , I am real happy with mine mate . Cheers , thanks for the comments. Regards Manfred

Last edited:
Hi Dusty I see Baileys now have the same chain grinder as mine , a Chinese copy of the Oregon 511a , excellent machine , works well , I am real happy with mine mate . Cheers , thanks for the comments. Regards Manfred

That is pretty much the same thing that I have. Mine is the Chinese copy that Northern Tool sells. I bought mine from a member here. It was still in the box partially assembled. Im gonna like it for the milling chains the most because I have a hard time with the 5-10 degree angles doing it by hand.:cheers:

Good grinder; I got mine yesterday; I also ordered a 25' roll of chain; didn't get baileys, but someone on ebay selling windsor chain for $40; I figure its worth the extra time to grind it myself; I'm cheap I guess. I like the grinder for sure; I spent about 15-20 minutes, maybe a little more, and had myself a couple like new chains out of the two I was going to throw out after hitting a big chunk of quartz in the crotch of a hickory this spring.

. . . . . I will be Ripping some Blackwood logs tomorrow , been cuttin up quite a bit of stuff recently , a bit of Yellow Mytle , Sheoak , Blackwood , Banksia and tomorrow the rest of the Blackwood after that I will start on the pile of cypress I have . unfortunately I was unable to take any photos of my recent hack ups , hopefully I will be able to tomorrow.

Great - :clap: :popcorn: :)

Another Bailey's rip chain user here. I need to get a couple more 36" loops from them. I caught some trash in a log too and destroyed one loop.

Good stuff, great price.

Mark

Grinder

That is pretty much the same thing that I have. Mine is the Chinese copy that Northern Tool sells. I bought mine from a member here. It was still in the box partially assembled. I'm gonna like it for the milling chains the most because I have a hard time with the 5-10 degree angles doing it by hand.:cheers:

Hi Dusty Northerntools , yeah thats where I got mine mate , its pretty ordinary eh , when I cant even get a decent grinder in me own country , at a reasonable price . My neighbor got a Oregon 511a at a so called cheap price of $600au , they are normally over $700au . Best thing I ever done was join this forum , great people , great info . Regards Manfred

Now for a ripping chain, can't I just grind my 30 degree chain to a straight (perpindicular to the bar)? I think I heard of guys doing this on the forum but I can't seem to findit now. Seems to me that they were doing it with a smaller diameter grinder/file as well. Anything else that would need to be done to modify a crosscut chain to a ripping chain?

LAZER

You can do it that way. Problem is, you lose a lot of tooth when you do. It's cheaper in the long run to just order a loop from Bailey's. Fact is, the crosscut chain will mill cut also. Just not as smooth as the 10*.

Rodney

I bought a 100' reel of Bailey's chain a month or so back and it is a great value. The sad thing is it only makes 7 chains for the big bar.

Not surprised

I bought a 100' reel of Bailey's chain a month or so back and it is a great value. The sad thing is it only makes 7 chains for the big bar.

Im not surprised mate :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Cheers MM

I love Bailey's ripping chain... all I use for milling unless I run out and use standard chain, which as was said works fine, just not as smooth a cut. I also love my breaker and spinner from Baileys. Eventually it will actually pay for itself since a roll is a little cheaper than buying loops, but only a buck or so each one, thus that will take a while and that is not why I got it. For me it's the convenience of making up a chain spur of the moment and not having to order and then wait for them. My milling goes in spurts... and when the opportunity arises I need to have 3-4 sharp chains ready to go so I'm not burning daylight sharpening in the field. I can do a much better job and do it much quicker on my MAXX sharpener back in the shop.

Last edited:
Thats surprising

I love Bailey's ripping chain... all I use for milling unless I run out and use standard chain, which as was said works fine, just not as smooth a cut. I also love my breaker and spinner from Baileys. Eventually it will actually pay for itself since a roll is a little cheaper than buying loops, but only a buck or so each one, thus that will take a while and that is not why I got it. For me it's the convenience of making up a chain spur of the moment and not having to order and then wait for them. My milling goes in spurts... and when the opportunity arises I need to have 3-4 sharp chains ready to go so I'm not burning daylight sharpening in the field. I can do a much better job and do it much quicker on my MAXX sharpener back in the shop.

Hi Woodshop ......... Thats surprising , I thought you would have saved heaps , making your own chains . The local theifs (the dealers) around here for a 100' roll of Stihl chain want $570.00au , I ran out of chain and was broke , so I bought a couple of loops , 114 link's $66.00 ea , thats around 58 cent's a link , if you bought a 100' in loops , it would cost you $951.00 . If I make my own chains , even at $570.00 a roll , about 35 cents a link , 114 link's 36" is about $39.00 , quite a saving . But I can get Carlton chain from New South Wales , for $425.00 a roll (Carlton and WoodsmenPro are the same chain) about 26 cent's a link or 114 link's $29.00 . I intend to buy my chain from baileys , when I can , I reckon I can get a roll for about $350.00 landed here 22 cent's a link or 114 link's $24.30 , thats a massive savings from the original price of $66.00 for 114 link's . Yeah your right you don't save much doing it yourself about $2.60 a loop for 114 link's , but as you said much more convenient . Cheers MM ....... all prices in aussie dollars

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back