Bald Cypress T.distichum - T. mucronatum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody grown any of these from seed?? I have plenty of text on it but following that, I failed miserably. I would like to hear from somebody who has done it. What stratification & scarification works best for you. I have the text on this so let me know if you have done it.

Thanks in advance - Nate

Ahoy Nate.

How'd you germinate? Or did you just trust seed placement?

Get back to me, we sprouted a couple in the growth chamber but results from our wilt culture took front seat and l inadventantly let the sprouts die, pushed behind the beer yeast.

Reed

I did what it said in the Nokes book. It is really handy. Jill Nokes, How to Grow Native Plants of Texas.

All of the seeds float. I assume this is a riprarian dispersal technique. It is a resinous coating that keeps water out and them floating. Nokes recommended soaking in near boiling water. No sir, out of 250 seeds, I got none. Yup, NONE.

Instead I went in April and dug up about 30 of the little guys on the banks of the Colorado. They grow fast.

Now I am starting a few live oaks and am going to try to grow a lot of lacey oaks if I don't miss seed drop.

It entertains me, keeps me from littering Asite, and keeps the squirrels fed.

I forgot, with the taxodium, all of that was after a stratification period.

In solution for soaking I added a few drops of Bio 'S' - Medina makes it and it's used as an adjunvant for my spraying both soils and foliar use. It washes away the waxy surfaces on these oak leaves. It's soap, plain and simple. It's also got a lot of phosphorous, the fizzy stinky ???? I all it.

Couple years ago I also followed an old forest service suggestion from Yellowstone that had you "roast" dry a tin pan of seeds, moving it around a lot like popcorn but of course not as long. This was the Ponderosa pine method for nursery. I ended-up eating most of them, go figure. Kind of like pinon pine nuts only smaller.

Have you gone back out to your folk's place yet? Man, good weather today - the alternative energy fair is happening in town and here my boat sits high and dry, the best time of year to hit the lakes. I need to work though, even with no customers currently. Feeling some financial pressures, my banker's been calling a lot.

Have a close friend dying in the hospital in Houston but the feds won't tell me which one and the searches won't either - she's V.I.P. Sometimes I can really hate the gov.

I haven't tried any medina products. Do they do what they say?? I have always been a bit leery. But I suppose I am that way about most things.

I would love to be out of Austin today. Work is slowing again and I was thinking of heading out west for the better part of next week. Collect some lacey seed and just get away for a bit.

Now I am trying to prepare a talk on trees and soils that I am giving tommorrow. Yes, trying to pick up biz by doing the educational speaker bit.

Great weather. First day of THE Oktoberfest.

Latest posts

Back