bamboo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would would guess that fall would be best for planting, but you no doubt want a clumping variety of bamboo, not the running kind. Clumping is much easier to control.

Winter is not a good time to transplant bambo, unless you have a greenhouse. I would wait until spring, or until temperatures are above freezing. You can plant them any time after that. I prefer fall for planting bamboo, as that is when the rhizomes grow the most. Get a type that is cold tolerant; many types are not that cold hardy. Also get a type that has leaves all the way to the ground if you want a good screening hedge. For that I would use something like Phyllostachys aurea. It is cold tolerant, grows fairly fast to fill in, typically has leaves to the ground, and is a medium size type. You can also get variations of Phyllostachys aurea. One type is called Koi, which has nice gold culms with green stripes on them. The biggest grower of bamboo around here is Bamboo Garden. They supply NJ with a lot of bamboo in the spring. Do a Google search for their web page and you can look at a lot of the types of bamboo available and what they look like.

Last edited:
Back