Bandit 65XL chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
somehow never got this reply in mail. Bandit has been long gone and almost forgotten, at least untill I've found pecontools' post. I'm running Carlton 1790 now.

Pecontools, have they in any way solved your problem?

Bandit is really pretty legendary in their customer service and parts shipping, at least the years I had high contact with them. At Bandit, a rep named Corey used to know the model 65 inside and out. They moved him to the Beast recycler division and maybe someone who has USED the chipper for some time and understands it and has maybe worked the production line, maybe THAT person can give pecon and other disenchanted customers the current status.

For the Bandit 6", at Bandit Industries, there is a line manager, an engineer overseeing this model, and a rep who works in parts and troubleshooting. Any one of those guys should be able to offer a solution. Bandit doesn't need to recall the machines, just offer us solutions that we can solve locally.

Pecon, I will offer to make a call up to Bandit on your behalf, you're in the United Kingdom and I'm only one state away. I will get an e-mail address from one of our three guys above and send him a link to this thread and invite him in.

I think it would be fair to let Bandit rectify the situation, or offer to us that they won't keep shooting themselves in the foot by shipping 6" chippers with problems that didn't used to be problems.

Or is that too 'forward', asking customer service for some customer service? Is it pushy to offer help to Bandit so they an help themselves? One would think they would embrace an opportunity such as this to interact one-on-many with their collective customers.

In the next 1-2 years I will be purchasing another chipper. I want another 6". I would like another Bandit 6", but not if its gonna perform at a lower level than where I'm at currently. Buy a new chipper to take a step backwards? I don't think so.

Hi Tree Machine

Bandit have got back to me, but only to tell me they have been in touch with the Bandit agent in the UK to tell them how to solve the problem. They have told me to contact my dealer and they will arrange to sort the problem out for me.

I thought I would give the dealer a couple of weeks to contact me first because they already know I am having problems and just want to see how keen they are to make sure their customers are satisfied.

They haven't contacted me as yet so tomorrow I will ring them.

Bandit gave no suggestions as to what the problem may have been. I would have thought it would be better to make the solution to the problem public, just sorting out one individuals problem won't do future sales any good when it comes to present Bandit 65 owners deciding which chipper to buy next to either add to, or to replace their current chipper or chippers.

I suspect the dealer will want me to return the chipper to carry out any tweeking or mods but will try to find out from them what it is they are going to do to the machine to rectify the problem and keep you posted.

Good on you, Pecon. Patience is possible because you don't have a crisis, just an annoyance.

For mine, right now, my biggest annoyance is that one of the two vises is getting rusty and it squeaks.

No, wait, here's an annoyance. I currently can not control the throttle from standing at the feed position. THAT is annoying, having to walk half way around the other end of the machine every time I want to throttle up OR down. That's repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying and repetitively annoying. Not having mounts for helmets/ear protection is annoying.

This machine, one of the great benefits is it's small enough to move about by hand. Not having a motorized, steerable front caster wheel jack is annoying.

I'm done whining.

Hey, here's something that might help. Off of your throttle linkage, there is a nut that adjusts and sets your RPM level at high end. If you remove that nut and in it's place clamp on a small vice-grip, you create finger-snap adjustability.

As default, your top-end RPM's will be what they are, as you have them now. But, if you turn the vice-grip 90 degrees, it sets it a tweak higher, your RPMS bump up a bit, and this is the place to be when you're stuffing brush like a maniac. When you throttle down it drops back into default.

Doubtful this will help your problem, Pecon, but this poor-man's turbo mode positively effects the hydraulics and speed feed rate and engine recovery rate. Used sparingly, this is a nice amp-up in efficiency in occasional moments.

Good one, rebel. Eliminate one variable altogether.

Autofeed senses the engine RPM's and when the engine is doggin', the infeed wheel stops, as does the chipping for the moment. When the RPM's come back up, the infeed wheel resumes and chipping continues. It is a really nice feature.

Good one, rebel. Eliminate one variable altogether.

Autofeed senses the engine RPM's and when the engine is doggin', the infeed wheel stops, as does the chipping for the moment. When the RPM's come back up, the infeed wheel resumes and chipping continues. It is a really nice feature.
Autofeed is what seperates chuckandduck from new technology. You know what TM I feel really bad they did not take your concept chipper like they said they would. You seem to have a part of your heart in that project and you weren t treated fairly. Ever think of approaching someone to sponsor this project? Couple of questions: Is that splitter on that concept machine or an unrelated piece? Also, How are the chips coming out of your chip box? Looks like some kind of push effect from the front of chip box.

Most of the options I proposed were very simple 'convenience' things that wouldn't have taken much in the way of the production line to incorporate.

My offer was to see the innovations through to a finished product and have a website specifically for this chipper; not so much a forum site, but strong FAQ, troubleshooting, tips and techniques, hyperlinks to the parts department, maintenence section containing video on how to remove, flip and sharpen knives, change oil, adjust anvil and detailed pictures of all the options and features to aquaint a new owner and keep him up and running if things go down. I made all this video, created the website, got a server to host it all and actually am still paying to have it, though the Bandit 6" is not at the heart of it.

Also I wanted to make the ordering process for new or prospective buyers a kinder, easier process. The ordering ofr the actual machine I found very confusing and wanted to offer more in the way of guidance. The marketing coverage Bandit gives to this chipper on their website and publications is slim. Short video of just chipping brush. Part of a page describing the chipper, mostly from an engineering standpoint. But zero in the 'benefit to the user' department or 'how this chipper will change your life' or how to make money with this chipper.

My pledge was to be the point guy, dedicated and specializing in just this one chipper. The deal was to do all outside marketing, promotion and online service for free, just make a commission off sales of just the chippers sold of just this one single model. I thought it was a rather win-win for all involved, and I would be making money the old-fashioned way-earning it.

Instead, I'm still supporting the chipper, as a volunteer, because the advantages for certain types of crews is undeniable. Either that or I'm a really suck business person. The 6" model owes much of it's sales to rental yards, because noobies can manage this chipper safely, on a first-use basis. Where Tree Machine wanted this to go was, yes, have the stripped-down 'rental' machine, but create an upscale unit whose sole purpose is to make the commercial operator more versatile, efficient and profitable and have the online service available to keep downtime minimized and keep you chipping happily.

This was one of the better ideas I think I've had. My machine allowed me to double my income the first year in use. THAT was significant.

I didn't burn any bridges with Bandit Industries, I just took my lumps and went back to work to dig myself out of a very deep hole I had created. But amidst it, I had created a very profitable tool. Wife and attorney were screaming for me to take some sort of action, but sometimes opportunities, as bright as they may seem, sometimes just crash and burn. Been going on since the beginning of time. Such is life. Suck it up and go back to work.

The fact that I'm still here supporting the chipper and still trading working hours does seem rather odd. Apparently I'm not big on holding grudges.

I called Bandit. The contact they gave me is one of the engineers I used to work with. His name is Steve. This cat really knows the 6 and 9" models. He's been head of that arena for many years.

I'll drop a line and invite him into the mix. No promises on the outcome as I have no idea how busy things are for him, but we'll check and see.

Does this sound OK?

Here's our try.....
e-mail from TM said:
Hi Steve,

The Model 65 model has been taking some fire from current users, both domestic and abroad, in the online community.

The members would like to invite you in for comments and what to do to resolve the problem. Please see this as an opportunity, not a place of public criticism. We want everyone to win. This thread gets seen around the world.

To enter and contribute to the thread, you need to register; a simple 2 minute process that will pop up if you try to reply without first registering.

You can go and read, though, just by clicking the link. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=44108

Jim

The 65xl is a 5th generation model that started with the old mighty bandit. Good little units. The problem with the bottom feed roller jamming is because the clearences set between the roller and the housing is to large, causing chunks to fall into the gap a jam the rollers. Not sure why any chipper has TOO MUCH discharge power - more the better I say. Maybe its because the bandit has a horizontal chute, unlike the Gandini, which has a tall spout suitable for filling passing aircraft with chips.

After years of using other peoples chippers, I finally took the plunge and started building my own. I figured as an arborist, I knew better what was needed than chipper manufacturers.
We built a couple of prototypes, and thoroughly tested them. In the instance of chunks clogging the bottom roller, we used a 'wrap plate', with 2mm clearance, and a sharpened anvil holder with zero clearance to ensure the roller can slice up any chunks. It also has a swing away feed housing, which makes maintanence a breeze.
We also gave it the ability to take up to an 8 inch peice, meaning even at 6" peices, the roller has a little more lift. It comes as standard with a 37hp Duetz diesel, but can be fitted with a 48hp version.
It has quite a lot in common with the bandit, (similar sized disk and rollers, strong chassis) but we put a really neat steel hood / engine bay on it - protects the components like engine, hydraulics, tanks etc. and looks good.
Jim, I think the 65 represents such a small part of bandits producton, they wont be bothered by whats said here. I like the way you think though - I'm going to offer a powered jockeywheel as an option on my chipper:D

Hi,
Pecontools did you ever manage to solve this problem? I'm only asking because I'm looking at buying a 65 (not XL since there too expensive for me :( ) and I've been informed that some of the older models had twin rollers fitted aswell, wouldnt want to end up with a lemon that doesnt like to do its job :(
Thanks

Hi Scouse, you couldn't have timed it better.

I rang berecycling today (bandit agent from whom I bought the chipper) for the 4th time, asking them why no-one has got back to me as they have promised. It has been six weeks since the last time I phoned them and was told someone would ring me back.

They told me today, someone will ring me back either tomorrow or Monday.

I am getting so fed up with the machine I am ready for asking for my money back, the machine is not fit for purpose.

The disharge is so viscous it is wearing the head board away, but that wasn't the problem with the disharge chute, the chute is so short, it doesn't direct the chip, it comes out of the chute in a 45 degree fan, if there is any gap between chip box and end of discharge chute, either a pedestrian gets killed or a passing porsche gets schrapnelled.

I have cured that problem by making a 1 foot long chute extension that neatly guides it exactly where i want it in the chipbox, although it still does bounce back out after hitting the headboard at terminal velocity.

The feed wheel problem is as described a couple of threads back, the gap between the wheel and housing is too large and allows large pieces of chip to jam the feed wheel, too big a peice for the wheels to cut thru, if the gap where smaller the peices would be smaller and the power of the feed wheel would probably cut thru them.

Berecycling say they have never heard of the feed wheel jammimg problem before, mine is the first case. I find that hard to believe, eveyone I have spoke to with a 65xl has the same problem.

I have to have a man stood at the chipper, just to operating the forward reverse bar when it jams, it jams that regular.

Another problem that I have noticed, is if you feed it anything stringy, ie willow, silver birch, privet etc. it wraps round the top feed wheel something cronic.

Another problem is the way you start the machine, you turn the ignition on, go to starter, when the engine fires you let the igntion key back one position an hold while the oil light goes out the release.

The problem here is numpty groundsmen, can't get it into their thick skulls that you have to release the key off starter. There should be a push button to hold while the engine builds speed till the oil pressure light goes out, that way you can't knack the starter. Simple modification will save a lot of pennies.

The machine has done 40 hours, I have changed the blades 8 times!! I think what is happening is that because the rollers jam so often, they are hold the wood against the blades heating the edge up and softening it, when I look at the blade edge, it isn,t chipped as you would expect, it has little bends in the cutting edge.

i would hold off for a short while scouse and I will keep you informed whether berecycling pull their socks up, so far they have displayed shocking customer service to the point where I am ready for taking the chipper back and asking for my money back.

Last edited:
I thought the same and checked, perfect gap, bearing bolts tight, no play anywhere, mind there shouldn't be, the machine is brand new.

One set of blades I took out were blued on the edge after I took a sycamore down. It seems to be the worst wood to put thru the machine for making it jam.

The top feed roller also jams quite regular when large chunks of wood find their way into the top gap above the roller.

One other thing that pees me off is there is an 8 inch gap before the feed rollers, but once the branch is fed thru the rollers there is a taper down to 6 inch behind the top roller which unless you measure every branch to make sure you are not feeding above 6 inch, nicely jams anything bigger solid. Why taper the inside of the infeed chute, it is inviting jamming problems.

Bloody ell!! sounds like your having some fairly bad problems there with basically no customer support:eek:

It does sound as though it's definately not fit for purpose.

I dunno if it will help but can you close off the air intake vents in the flywheel? This might help the discarge problem, You could allways just hold a piece of card over the vents it should get sucked into place and stay there while its running.
If it is just a question of the gap between the roller and the housing then surely it shouldnt be too much of a problem for berecycling to sort out a modded wheel it cant be that difficult to fabricate. If they dont sort it soon I'd either throw the machine back at them or get a decent engineer to sort the problem then give them the bill. £18,000 is a lot of dough to pay to have those sort of probs.

Good luck mate.

Bandit 65xl

The chipper has settled in a little and does still jam but nowhere near as much as it did.

I contacted berecycling again some months ago now and they said they would replace the bottom roller with one which has twice as many teeth on it free of charge.

I have got to the stage now where I have had the chipper 13 months, I contacted berecycling within a few days of getting the chipper, they came out to it the first time to fix an hydraulic leak and look at the jamming problem. since then, nothing, despite ringing them quite a few times.

To be honest, I have given up on getting decent customer service from them.

The machine itself is, despite the jamming problem, in my opinion, still better than any other 6 inch chipper on the market, simply because of the wide letterbox infeed opening, allowing large limby material in with minimum use of the chainsaw cuting off side limbs.

If I had to buy another chipper, it would still be a bandit, I just would hope by then there was another authorised dealer other than berecycling, whos customer service leaves much to be desired.

I must admit, the 65xl is a cracking chipper.

Just to add, the problem with the fierce chip discharge was cured a little by putting an extention on the shute which stopped it fanning the chip out to the side into the road or footpath. The problem is that I have had to replace my headboard twice because it is so fierce it actually wears the headboard away, so a rubber sheet cures that.

I was working in a woodland the other day firing the chip straight out, I measured how far the furthest peice of chip had landed. It was 220 feet with no wind!! I even thought of suggesting to the ministry of defence that they could use bandit 65s on the front line in Iraq, a row of them firing chip would stop any enemy!

Last edited:
i sent an email to Bandit last night.

i included the link to this thread and let them know i am not longer considering their 12" drum chipper.hope it makes a difference.it probably won't but this type of service is unacceptable.

Back