Bandit Chipper Hydraulic Tank Caps Leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torquin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I believe the caps in the hydraulic tanks of both my Bandit 250, and 250XP, chippers are leaking water into them when it rains. The 250 is older and just has some kind of metal cap inside the plastic cap, which I suppose holds the dipstick. My 250XP has a gauge built into the cap. I changed the hydraulic fluid out last July and by October the fluid was milky again. As the cap is the only place I can think of for water to get in, it is my prime suspect at this point.
What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should check?
Does anyone know where I can get new caps for them, preferably with a gauge on them, or is this a dealer-only item?

Thanks,
Chris

The caps that Bandit send with there chippers suck. We have to change them out because they are cheap and wear out pretty quick. Ill try to get the name of the ones we replace them with.

I just bought a 90xp a couple weeks ago. The guy had filled the diesel tank up all they way, so the first time I used it the cap leaked quite a bit of fuel all over the place from the air hole in the top. Is this common with Bandit caps? Any leads on where I can get a replacement?

I just bought a 90xp a couple weeks ago. The guy had filled the diesel tank up all they way, so the first time I used it the cap leaked quite a bit of fuel all over the place from the air hole in the top. Is this common with Bandit caps? Any leads on where I can get a replacement?

Could it be that it was filled up too much and the breather cap on the top just did what it does naturally? I say this because there is a sticker on mine stating I should not fill it higher than 1/2" from the top to allow for expansion. This might also allow for the fuel to not be spilt out of the cap when running.
I have not run into this type of spillage with my 250's, but I have never had them filled up to the top either.

Thanks,
Chris

I still have the crappy factory Bandit fuel and hydraulic caps on my BB 95. I would be interested if there are some good aftermarket ones, and ones that are lockable. My 95 does not have locking caps, and no lock tabs. My BB 90 had better lockable caps with lock tabs on the sides.

I have a newer 1590 and have not ran into that issue. I've attached a picture of what my cap looks like (I found this on the Bandit web site), does yours look like this?
lockable_filler_caps.jpg

Mine has that same sticker about the 1/2 inch thing. I think it should be more like 3 inches...

I'll have to get some caps like that, chips! Looks like they are made pretty well. Do they lock?

I found and bought a 'Lenz' cap here locally. We'll see if that performs better. It looks like the 57-XL40 in the following pic. While it seems they offer locking caps, I did not get one of those.

210_1.jpg

Chris

Mine has that same sticker about the 1/2 inch thing. I think it should be more like 3 inches...

I'll have to get some caps like that, chips! Looks like they are made pretty well. Do they lock?

They do lock but the caps are plastic. The actual plastic part locks. It's not going to deter someone that really wants to get into the tank but it will keep "kids" from messing with the tanks.

Latest posts

Back