Bandit 12xp woodchipper shutting down at full revs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffordTrees

Reaction score
Hi legends

I just wanted to share my chipper shut down problems and what the solution was in case it helps you solve your issue and save you some time and MONEY!

We had it at the chipper shop for 8 days, hired a chipper for the week ($1980)
They flushed the radiator, replaced a bunch of little ****
- they unfortunately didn’t find the issue after all this expense, I found it when it kept happening once they returned our machine

We have a 2018 Bandit 12xp
At full revs and eating branches the machine would just shut down completely
Before getting upset and thinking you’ve blown a head gasket check a couple of these simple items

- replace your radiator cap. ( if you run your machine without a radiator cap on, it will shut down almost immediately ) an old cap will allow this to happen also.
- check the Murphy switch connections on top of the drum is connected and all your safety switches
- check coolant level

Most importantly
- check the wires on the relay usually located at the base of the engine
—- this was our problem with our machine shutting down every so often until it wouldn’t give us power at all
—- the wire is SO tight connecting to the relay that it had actually broken to a few strands of wire off from the connector but would still grab a connection until it finally must of broken clean off but was well hidden by the shrink wrap so it was difficult to find and would move letting us run the machine but during vibration caused the Murphy switch to engage which shut the engine down intermittently

See pics below

If this is the issue

To fix it
- disconnect the negative on battery as this wire is always live
-you will need about - 4mm sized wire and ideally solder it both ends me to make it longer and less stress
-shrink wrap it
- boom, possible issue solved

All the best 👍🏻

Attachments

• 3F38792E-8737-4475-8D91-6A53043DD94D.jpeg
    3F38792E-8737-4475-8D91-6A53043DD94D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • A1A4B507-DADC-4410-B432-AAEB1107421B.jpeg
    A1A4B507-DADC-4410-B432-AAEB1107421B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8139.MOV
    12.2 MB
Hi legends

I just wanted to share my chipper shut down problems and what the solution was in case it helps you solve your issue and save you some time and MONEY!

We had it at the chipper shop for 8 days, hired a chipper for the week ($1980)
They flushed the radiator, replaced a bunch of little ****
- they unfortunately didn’t find the issue after all this expense, I found it when it kept happening once they returned our machine

We have a 2018 Bandit 12xp
At full revs and eating branches the machine would just shut down completely
Before getting upset and thinking you’ve blown a head gasket check a couple of these simple items

- replace your radiator cap. ( if you run your machine without a radiator cap on, it will shut down almost immediately ) an old cap will allow this to happen also.
- check the Murphy switch connections on top of the drum is connected and all your safety switches
- check coolant level

Most importantly
- check the wires on the relay usually located at the base of the engine
—- this was our problem with our machine shutting down every so often until it wouldn’t give us power at all
—- the wire is SO tight connecting to the relay that it had actually broken to a few strands of wire off from the connector but would still grab a connection until it finally must of broken clean off but was well hidden by the shrink wrap so it was difficult to find and would move letting us run the machine but during vibration caused the Murphy switch to engage which shut the engine down intermittently

See pics below

If this is the issue

To fix it
- disconnect the negative on battery as this wire is always live
-you will need about - 4mm sized wire and ideally solder it both ends me to make it longer and less stress
-shrink wrap it
- boom, possible issue solved

All the best 👍🏻
Thanks very much for this information, bloody useful. I have exactly this issue, it's been driving me mad.

Latest posts

Back