How To Be An Excellent Groundman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So pay him $30 an hour and he'll be happy to stay a groundman for years and you end with a first rate groundman to compliment your first rate climbers.

I've been grounding with this company for fifteen-years, and with the same climber for at least ten. I'm very well paid by groundman standards, but after fifteen-years I also can handle more responsibility. I price jobs, collect, and can speak for the boss when he's not there, so can my climber who's been with the company for about twenty-years.

Trust based on long term work relationships. Nothing beats it.

Wow! You are great!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

Interesting. So, what "qualifications" do you think are so demanding that $30 an hour is deserved?

The ability of the boss to say, "Yeah, he's a pain in the azz sometimes and he's expensive, but he shows up for work year after year, knows his ****, and I trust him him with my equipment, my money, and my life."

The majority of groundmen might well be idiots with strong backs - like myself - but I've seen the difference between professional idiots with strong backs and part-time idiots with strong backs.

Always choose the professional idiot. :cool:

Scrape off that dog poo from your boots before getting in the truck!

I despise dig ****! I'll stop what I'm doing, get a shovel & scoop the area. It's my biggest pet peeve.. If the homeowners is just standing there watching I'll even hand the shovel to him. Personally, I would never expect a crew to work around that, running there ropes & equipment through it I'd be embarrassed as a client.

I jumped out the truck once & put my saw recoil side down real quick. Low n' behold there was a humungous fresh pile right underneath it. I thought it came from an elephant. Try cleaning that out of the recoil crevasses.

I despise dig ****! I'll stop what I'm doing, get a shovel & scoop the area. It's my biggest pet peeve.. If the homeowners is just standing there watching I'll even hand the shovel to him. Personally, I would never expect a crew to work around that, running there ropes & equipment through it I'd be embarrassed as a client.

I jumped out the truck once & put my saw recoil side down real quick. Low n' behold there was a humungous fresh pile right underneath it. I thought it came from an elephant. Try cleaning that out of the recoil crevasses.
When I'm quoting the job and I see it I mention I have a $100 dog poo fee. If we show up to work and it's still there, we move it out of the way, leave it there, and bill the client.
I'm pretty easy when it's a small amount, but when there's a ton, you're getting charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I'm quoting the job and I see it I mention I have a $100 dog poo fee. If we show up to work and it's still there, we move it out of the way, leave it there, and bill the client.
I'm pretty easy when it's a small amount, but when there's a ton, you're getting charged.

That`s a new one. Never heard that before. :)

I call DS (dogschit) on the fact you just move the pooh to another area and charge $100. You could charge a meelion but will they pay is the reality.

Excellent list. Lots of newbies at my company lately and that list is something for them to live by.

I call DS (dogschit) on the fact you just move the pooh to another area and charge $100. You could charge a meelion but will they pay is the reality.

It's called a contract. I'm not in the business of paying my guys to clean up some clients dogs crap or to spend extra time cleaning their boots. Its no surprise to my clients because it is discussed ahead of time. We're there to work on trees.

still not buying it. do you discuss their dogs poop closing the job...my guess is they then shop elsewhere. I'm with ya in spirit but not in reality. $100. to move it?....nahhh. been around the block to many years.

I think what he is saying is if there is an abundance of it, it will get brought up without making it a major talking point. If your reputation is good enough the job isn't going anywhere anyways. Also, the last thing I want to be concerned about is looking down worrying about where I'm stepping when I need to be looking up for my safety.

If someone has a problem with the potential fee they will have it taken care of. Simple as that. Cleaning ropes, boots, truck floors, ladders all takes time and ultimately is a disgusting job. Believe what you want to, I don't care.

I agree with you, especially if they are eating meat and canned meat. My doubts are that you have ever collected the $100. fee nor has anyone ever signed up for your $100. poo poo relocation program.

Back