How long does it take you to get your rope in the tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long?

• < 5 minutes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5 – 10 minutes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • 10 – 30 minutes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • An hour or two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Today or tomorrow"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

argiopeweb

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
From opening the throw cube (or the equivalent step in your process), how long does it take you to have a lifeline in the tree?

No need to consider safety inspections, gear, or your readiness to climb, just the safe rope. It mighty also be nice to know if you aim easy or try for a final TIP from the ground.

Almost like a trick question... simple oak or peacan, up to 50 or 60 feet, one or two throws... vine encrusted loblolly, might take a few more to isolate and get it to drop back through.... higher than 60, grab the big shot. It wasn't so much the throw as timing the pinch at that point...

I have one idk how you did that but uh damn bud must be throwing way up there

The oaks around here (live oaks particularly) eat throw lines. The smallest kink, and definitely an end loop, will wedge in the bark in a crotch and hold to breaking point. I really hate cutting throw lines. I'm a low-effort weekend warrior at this point, so it's not pushing the schedule significantly to make it "today or tomorrow" (or even "this weekend or next").

Also, I usually work on bigger trees, aim for a relatively high TIP (40-80') from the ground (which is my real problem), haven't dropped the money on a BigShot or APTA/homebuilt equivalent, and used to be a) worse at throwing and b) too lazy to take my throw balls off to reset. I've at least grown out of the last two.

The oaks around here (live oaks particularly) eat throw lines. The smallest kink, and definitely an end loop, will wedge in the bark in a crotch and hold to breaking point. I really hate cutting throw lines. I'm a low-effort weekend warrior at this point, so it's not pushing the schedule significantly to make it "today or tomorrow" (or even "this weekend or next").

Also, I usually work on bigger trees, aim for a relatively high TIP (40-80') from the ground (which is my real problem), haven't dropped the money on a BigShot or APTA/homebuilt equivalent, and used to be a) worse at throwing and b) too lazy to take my throw balls off to reset. I've at least grown out of the last two.
What brand of throwline do you use?

I mostly just throw the ball, but when you get a dense tree with lots of branches, it can be very difficult to toss vertically with any height & accuracy. Then it's time to pull out the big shot.

I draw the Big Shot down with an archery trigger release attached to a tiny block & tackle (strung with 20 feet of thin starter rope from small engine repair).

I can pull it down to shoot 100' high or more if desired, and I can use a much shorter draw if desired for a lower height. Aiming is quite accurate, and my release device is very precise, because it was manufactured for exactly that purpose.

By the way: I discovered that the archery trigger from Cabelas did not release properly when the big shot was really pulled hard. I just ran a loop of string from the trigger anchor-point (tied to the pole with a prussic), through the pocket on the big shot, and then held it with the archery trigger. This reduced the load on the trigger by more than 1/2, and the trigger always works like a charm.

I guess another good question for everyone is when you were learning to climb, how much time did you devote to throwball practice, or do you just practice on the job? I had an oak in my front yard, and I would devote at least 2 or 3 hours every Sunday to throwball practice. Like any skill, practice makes perfect.

Latest posts

Back