Bandit chipper shutting down after about 15-20 minutes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with caltreeequip check the fuse and electrical at the murphy switch and fuel cut off solenoid at the fuel injection pump.
Here is a link to the standard wiring for a murphy switch:

http://www.fwmurphy.com/pdf/00-02-0187.pdf

When the button on the murphy switch is pushed it bypasses the guages and puts power to the NC terminal (Witch is where your fuel stop solenoid get power to run from). If you dont get 12volts there your murphy switch is not working internally. If you do have 12 volts there have some one check the wire at the fuel solenoid there should be 12 volts there (Also check the ground at the solenoid).

I have seen some bad fuse holders for the murphy switches (the fuse will look good but the connectors inside the holder suck and dont transfer the voltage so use a test light at the terminals).

Scott

i bet money on fuel filters.

or the safety switch on top of the disc shroud as mentioned earlier.

also check the harness and grounds for the Murphy switch and ignition.

i'll stick to the first two though.

i have had intermittent shutdown problems on a mates chipper on the injection pump there is a solinoid which shuts off fuel when murphy system tells it to found a loose connection fixed worth a look

I'm picking it up from the mechanic today. He read this thread and checked everything out that was discussed and found that it was the fuel pump itself that was bad but the tips from you guys helped him to make sure he was diagnosing the right problem so thanks for all your input!

Now, who wants to buy a good used bandit 200+? My vermeer 1800 is being loaded onto the delivery truck today. I should get it by this weekend or tuesday at latest. If someone wants to deal on the bandit before I start placing ads, I'll give them a better deal on it...$8k instead of $8900. New tires, new alternator, new fuel pump, new set teeth in addition to newer set on it, good belts, tight bearings, good clutch, good paint. 80hp cummins.

(15 years later) Check the Relay connection isn’t broken off

Attachments

• IMG_8139.MOV
    12.2 MB
  • F2FF01D0-700F-484E-9C11-33B7FF6899FD.jpeg
    F2FF01D0-700F-484E-9C11-33B7FF6899FD.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C741A3AF-0FF4-4A3F-9DC5-47F4DA5CB3A7.jpeg
    C741A3AF-0FF4-4A3F-9DC5-47F4DA5CB3A7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1D904240-3E9D-439A-8AB9-F6069F985A9F.jpeg
    1D904240-3E9D-439A-8AB9-F6069F985A9F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Recently, my 1993 bandit 200+ has started shutting down after running under a load for 15-20 minutes. The engine just shuts off at full rpm while I'm chipping. No sputtering like it's not getting fuel or spark. Just like someone walked over and shut off the key.

My local mechanic replaced the alternator with a smaller one as he said the old one was overcharging the battery and causing the amp guage to trip and shut it down. (During start up of the machine, you have to hold a battery voltage button in while turning the key and then release the button after it has started).

He tested the new alternator while idling for 1/2 hour and all was fine but he didn't test it under load (no way to). We ran it again and the same thing happened - shut down after 15-20 minutes.

Any have any ideas on what's going on here and what to do to correct the problem?

Motor is an 80hp cummins diesel. Chipper is 1993 200+. Battery is an 850cca farm industrial battery for diesel engines.

Thanks.

Scott
I run a Bandit 1890 Intimidator that has done very very similar when the fuel filter got clogged.

Back