Bandit Model Info Required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouse

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping that someone can give me any info on this chipper, model number,year etc..
I know it looks a bit of a rough old dog :p but i bought it for a decent price and its only to be used as backup machine(already own a vermeer 625i diesel).
The engine is a Lister Petter twin cylinder air cooled diesel (thats all i know about it) which seems to run well and was apparently new/reconditioned 2 years ago. The guy I bought it from didnt know much about the chipper.
I cant find any serial numbers or id tags on the chipper itself or the engine (probably hidin underneath all that dirt :p )
Any info would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

I can't help you with the model number, etc. But that engine is definitely an after-market addition and looks to be waaaayyy too small for that chipper. Have you run any wood through it yet? No offense, but it looks pretty ragged out.

I aint tried chipping anything with it yet, will tomorrow if i get a chance.
Yeah it does look a bit battered :D but im not expecting an awfull lot from it tbh.
I've just been checkin out the Lister Petter web site and it looks as though it may be a 25hp engine, which although not that powerfull its about a standard size for a 6 inch chipper over here.

that looks like a mighty bandit from the pics, guy near me has one but has ditched it as no safety systems on it and was too much trouble to get it done so bought a timberwolf instead

Before you start chipping, make sure you go through the entire machine checking for proper torque on all fasteners, clearance for knives and cutter bar, etc. Wouldn't want it to come apart on you.

Bandit 6"

The Bandit is a Mighty Bandit 6" machine imported by Ripper chipper and the engine fitted by them at the time.
Blades and parts available from us if you have any problems.

hope this helps :angel:

Mighty Bandit it is then :D
Cheers for the info/advice fellas, got a day off work tomorrow(well a day off from tree climbing :p ) so im gonna get busy stripping it down and having a good look over it (Definately Good advice from Treeman14).

Liston, I'm sure I will at the least need some new blades and bolts/nuts etc.. I got a couple of spare sets with the machine but they look as though someone's had a good go at them with an angle grinder :O (done this myself once or twice on the Vermeer for a quick fix between proper sharpening :D
I'll check out your web site Liston to see what spares you do.
Thanks again Chaps.

If it were me, I'd stock some spare parts on hand in case one or two things break, save you a trip to the dealer for something.

Mighty bandit or the model 60, precurser to the 65. will come up well with abit of TLC, as they were a well built little machine. I used to run one with the perkins 33 hp, it would blow away a vermeer 625 no probs.

If it were me, I'd stock some spare parts on hand in case one or two things break, save you a trip to the dealer for something.
I sure will, allways do with the machines well the basic stuff anyway, dont want to stock too much stuff not at the prices we get charged for Vermeer parts :dizzy: £400 for an alternator (although i got a brand new 1 from Perkins direct for £85 some mark up ehh?)

After giving everything a quick check over I fired her up and tried a piece of 4x2, now it chipped well(very fine chips) but it didnt manage to make it very far into the back of the van :rolleyes: I hope this is not how its going to run.

Does any1 have any ideas on why it didnt fire the chips out very far? The engine and disc run up to speed fine (disc runs at about 1800rpm) it looks like the oringinal shoot and cutter disc with no modifications to it.
I.ve had a word with the Bandit importers over here(berecycling) and hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer!

Last edited:
probably its not packing alot of punch in the discharge dept. it needs some help to make those chips get to the front of the van, maybe an addon like an aftermarket blower of some sort would help wiht this, I dont really know for sure.

Chip thrower

Check out the back of the chipper disc and tell me how many flat plates are welded to the back of it.

With out being to big headed I sold and worked on more bandit chippers then anyone else in the UK since 95, Call me, advice is free . will be happy to help and give you some running tips :) .Could save you a packet on parts prices to :angel:

if you dont keep the knives sharp you will do disc bearings fairly quickly,if you didnt pay alot for it youve done well.

Like to wait do you?
i like an optimist

Best not to hold ny breath then :( Customer support is something I value highly in this business,when a part breaks its needed like yesterday. Although B-TRAC (UK vermeer importer) will wallop you on there prices at least 95% of the parts are with you in 24 hours.

Check out the back of the chipper disc and tell me how many flat plates are welded to the back of it.

Its got 4 paddles attached to the disc and two of them have another bit welded on at 90 degrees, ave attached some pics of the disc.I'll give you a call when I get a chance an hassle you a bit about parts/prices an stuff :cool: , BTW do you sell Vermeer parts? Stump grinder included.

I used to run one with the perkins 33 hp, it would blow away a vermeer 625 no probs.

Sounds like you had a good engine on that one, did you have any of the chip probs?

if you dont keep the knives sharp you will do disc bearings fairly quickly,if you didnt pay alot for it youve done well.

I was just looking at the blades and although it seemed to chip well the angle was definately not 30 degrees(which I assume it's supposed to be) it looked more like 45 to me, could this be the problem? I know on our Vermeer 625i the angle of the blades doesnt seem to make a big difference.
Once agin thanks for the advice and keep it coming fellas :blob2:

65 knifes

Knifes for a bandit 6" changed over the years you have 3 types
They are all the same length with 3 holes but
3/8 thick x 4.5" wide
1/2 thick x 4.5" wide
3/8 thick x 3.5" wide ;)

If your knifes are too narrow you will have too much gap and will not get enought pressured air flow in the transtion, thus chip throwing will be reduced
a Bandit 6" chipper should throw at least 8 -10 metres no problem.

Also some one may have changed the pulley sizes on the engine thus your chipper disc is not running at 1950rpm or close to it. ;)

Yes :) :) We do do Vermeer parts as well. Well we do do almost any USA chipper or grinder parts some on the shelf and some 24 - 36 hr delivery.

Latest posts

Back