banning use of owb in ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excalibur1983

Reaction score
The OHIO EPA has drafted a proposal to regulate the use of OWB's emissions. I think this is a BUNCH of B.S. Everyone you know that has a OWB or sells them in OH is going to be affected by the law if it is adopted. Written comments can be mailed to the Division of Air Pollution Control, Ohio EPA, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049. All comments must be received by Friday, March 7, 2008. Ohio EPA will consider all comments before it formally proposes the rule changes. When the rules are formally proposed, Ohio EPA will hold a public hearing and offer another public comment period before any rules are adopted.

Here is a the web address with a summery of the proposal:

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/pic/nr/2008/february/OWBRules.html

Hope everyone in Ohio sends them a letter disagreeing with this!!!!!

EVERYONE in the state needs to fight this--woodburner in house--fireplace--or owb--as the trash that will start coming down the pike will be unbelieveable--and other states will try to model after it--------STOP THIS TRASH BILL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Bombas, I have no problem with these rules. The only one that sucks is the stack above the roof rule. If I had to follow that rule my stack would be about 25' high.

All this says is burn clean fuel and dont burn in the summer when your neighbors are outside. It seems to me that a rule like this could help save OWB's from a complete banning like they are doing in the Northeast

The restrictions are not all that unfeasible. The voters banned smoking in any workplace because of health issues, so I can see them picking on the OWB. From what I seen, the owners burn any trash wood, green, rotten, all of it and it does smoke up the area. Perhaps all they need is a 20-25 foot tall stack and that would solve the problem.

I'll oppose it just because it bans burning tires, tires = free heat LOL

I like my wood furnace because it is vented up the chimney and people just think it is a fireplace fire, I have a small OWB sitting on my patio just so that I am grandfathered, I plan on hooking it up in the next year or two

Way to put all OWB owners into one category. :monkey:

Dont forget tires and plastic:bang:

I did not put *all* OWB owners into that category, you did. From what I wrote, I stated that from "what I seen".

That does not make a rule stating that all do that, just the ones that I have seen locally in my area. The burning of green wood and junk (wood) has been the major draw to those who I personally know have purchased them.

I did not put *all* OWB owners into that category, you did. From what I wrote, I stated that from "what I seen".

That does not make a rule stating that all do that, just the ones that I have seen locally in my area. The burning of green wood and junk (wood) has been the major draw to those who I personally know have purchased them.

OK thanks for that clarification. While mine burns green wood fine it does make more ash and smoke and I avoid it if I can. Had to burn some tonight because I just built my place and I have not had a full year to season any wood. I always point out to my buddies how much better and how my cycle times for the fan are a lot shorter on seasoned wood so no one tries to ban them around here.

I actually am a big fan of fining those caught burning tires, trash etc very heavily. We only have one planet

I can see restrictions on them in towns. but I would like to know how much the oil and gas companies are pushing for these regulations. I am talking about the places that deliver gas and oil.

OK thanks for that clarification. While mine burns green wood fine it does make more ash and smoke and I avoid it if I can. Had to burn some tonight because I just built my place and I have not had a full year to season any wood. I always point out to my buddies how much better and how my cycle times for the fan are a lot shorter on seasoned wood so no one tries to ban them around here.

I actually am a big fan of fining those caught burning tires, trash etc very heavily. We only have one planet

I thought you were joking about the tires, that's hilarious!

why is that hilarious? people caught burning tires should be heavily fined. that kinda crap shouldn't be allowed.

You have got to be SHI*ing me

Well here's my take. First it's the stack height, and the smoke, next it's the apprearence(big wood piles of dead rotting wood), then the safty factor(near a heavly wooded area) then on to people with allergies and how it creates reactions for them. Just another ploy by the gov. Giving them back control of How and what natural resources we use. As far as you folks that think the smoke is an inviromental issue. TELL IT TO THE PEOPLE WHO START FOREST FIRES. I'm tellin ya next we'll have to have permits, take classes, get licenced, equipment inspected, wood inspected, and there be only certain types of wood you can burn. My luck not what I have avaliable. And trust me sure as I set here, it will never end. And you will have to pay for everthing I listed just above. More revenue to Who? sure as he** not me. Ya great idea, just remember you said that.:angry2: Sorry guy's but I strongly DISAGREE.

The thing I don't like is the stack height. So what if I smoke out myself? It should be 10ft above any house not heated with the OWB with in 150ft. Also the 200ft from the property is BS also. I own 2 acres but live in the center of a big field. The closest neighbors are 800ft away. I have never had anyone complain about the smoke. Which makes sense because 90% of the people on my road heat with wood.

I hate over reaching government. I wish it was local and not the state government.

why is that hilarious? people caught burning tires should be heavily fined. that kinda crap shouldn't be allowed.

What is hilarious is not the fact that people are doing that, but the fact that people actually think that they can burn tires anyway. If you want to look like your burning down your house go ahead, but a freaking tire? Talk about hillbilly.

Ohio is not the only place, the town of Ringwood NJ is also considering similar restrictions with respect to stack height and setbacks. It was reported in the Bergen Record within the past few weeks, however I'm unable to find the article online. The artice said they had complaints about OWBs on two different properties and were considering regulations to deal with it.

what you have here are a few people that can write really good letters to people that can make changes.
I think that OWB's are great and I have one so I see first hand what they can do and why it can piss off the neibours...
I am glad my closest neibour is far enough away that if I was to burn tires they would not get smoke in there faces..
you people in areas that are trying to ban boilers need to watch out for guys burning junk next to political strongarms and get a few smart people with framed papers behind them protesting how good a boiler can be when they are used properly.
this kind of stuff is all around us .... my cousin has a sport bike that will hit 50 mph in first gear and 160 mph in a few seconds when the posted speed limit is 60 mph!!!!!
yet they still sell these bikes by the thousands every year .
basicly if your making lots of smoke with junk wood and burning tires don't do it when "they" are watching......

Back