Bar and chain confusion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevSauce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so I am confused!

Does Husky make their own bars and chains or are they Oregon? Also, will husky bars accept STIHL chains?

I have heard that Oregon uses a different sizing system than STIHL... is this true?

Oregon makes a lot of bars and chain for Husky. Husky has had bars made by other contractors like GB, depending on area.

Husky bars will accept Stihl chain just fine, as long as the pitch and gauge are the same. Stihl uses a different numbering system than Oregon but the sizes of pitch and gauge they each produce are the same.

(I.e. Stihl #6 on drive link= .063" gauge, Oregon #75 on drive link- also .063" gauge.)

So what is up with this babbling idiot at a local dealer talking about 100's upon 100's of bar and chain combination's?

So what is up with this babbling idiot at a local dealer talking about 100's upon 100's of bar and chain combination's?

I think you already answered your own guestion with "babbling idiot", but I'm curious if it was a Stihl dealer or a Husqvarna dealer?

Yep, you can put any chain on any bar as long as the drive link,width, and pitch is the same.

I think you already answered your own guestion with "babbling idiot", but I'm curious if it was a Stihl dealer or a Husqvarna dealer?

I think Husky, and interestingly Dolmar as well... though he said he has never even seen a Dolmar... most dealers where I live focus on lawn equipment and small chainsaws, if at all...

Back