Bar and Chain Craze

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deets066

Deets066

Firewood hack
yeah that was me. I just added a short intro to the vid.

conducting more tests and then selling them. You wanting something in particular?

Also if you guys have some ideas on tests you want to see, let me know.

I think maybe that cad was trying to take over, I don't really need any more bars. I do really like the stihl lightweight bars though.
I wouldn't mind seeing a 32" full comp and full skip with a 7 pin. Then full comp and full skip 9 pin, just throwing it out there. Thanks again for the great info.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
If the saw has the power to pull it full comp wins the speed part up to 36" that I've tried. It may take longer to sharpen.

RedFir Down

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If the saw has the power to pull it full comp wins the speed part up to 36" that I've tried. It may take longer to sharpen.
That is strange. Why do you think that is?
With skip chain you would think it would clear chips better and be more efficient with that much bar buried, no?

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
That is strange. Why do you think that is?
With skip chain you would think it would clear chips better and be more efficient with that much bar buried, no?

In hardwoods you have lots of little chips. They don't seem to have as many problems clearing. I don't have access to any 30" plus pine to try it in. I have used full comp on a 41" and 48" bars and not had problems with chips. On 20-24" full comp has beaten skip with new chains or filed/ground by 5-10%.

RedFir Down

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
In hardwoods you have lots of little chips. They don't seem to have as many problems clearing. I don't have access to any 30" plus pine to try it in. I have used full comp on a 41" and 48" bars and not had problems with chips. On 20-24" full comp has beaten skip with new chains or filed/ground by 5-10%.
Gotcha...that makes sense when cutting hard wood. I was thinking of softer woods which is mostly what I cut. Thanks for the info.

RedFir Down

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If I ever get I big softwood I'll try to get a comparison with the biggest bar and chain combo I have available.
That would be interesting. Im running full comp on my 395 with a 36" b&c right now but im going to be getting some skip chain for it, I think it will like it better for the cutting im doing.... we'll see.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Recently cut a few 25-30" White Pine with a 24" bar on the 044 with square file chain. Went right though it, but the sap in that wood made the chips much stickier than hardwood chips. I could see it easily creating a problem with a longer bar and bigger wood.

Wait till that sap drys up in your bar rails :D

Latest posts