Bar and chain for 572xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Soooooo i took the plunge and ordered a 572 from mastermind. It'll be a few months until I get it. In the meantime I need a bar and chain, as all I currently have are 18" lengths of .325 for my 346s...

Thinking 28" bar for that baby. Recommendations for bar/chain? Please be specific. Thanks!

There are no bonus points awarded for the guy with the biggest bar…
Most will agree that the optimal plan is to run the shortest bar for the job. That cuts down on overall weight and the saw’s power is used for cutting and is not lost on friction pulling unnecessary chain links over unnecessary bar Length. Unless you plan on cutting big timber, a 24” bar should tackle most of your needs. My 372XP rarely runs anything larger than a 20” guide-bar. Just my 2 pennies…

I like Oregon Power Match / Husqvarna bars and PowerCut chain.

JQ

My 461 runs a 24" B&C most of the time. Only a truly large tree has me mount the 32" B&C, which happens only once a year if that. Oregon Chains and a Tsumura bar has become my choice over the years.

There are no bonus points awarded for the guy with the biggest bar…
Most will agree that the optimal plan is to run the shortest bar for the job. That cuts down on overall weight and the saw’s power is used for cutting and is not lost on friction pulling unnecessary chain links over unnecessary bar Length. Unless you plan on cutting big timber, a 24” bar should tackle most of your needs. My 372XP rarely runs anything larger than a 20” guide-bar. Just my 2 pennies…

JQ

Generally I agree with this. However, I bucked three 20-30" stump Dia fir some months back, switching between the 24 and 28 where applicable. For same chain with brand new bars, I found the 24" and 28" to cut at about the same speed and pull on the motor. Maybe there's some hundred or two rpms I can't feel,but that was my experience.

Another factor is it was done while breaking in the saw on its first three tanks.

If my mind serves, chain was also the same, but I could be mistaken.

30” DBH fir warrants a 28” bar, no doubt...but I reserve the 28” and 32” bars for the 390XP. I realize that my application isn't too common as I cut at 8,000 to 10,000 feet of elevation, so my 390 feels more like a heavy 372.

JQ

Well I don’t disagree that 24 will cut most everything, but I was thinking my 18” 346 can cut most of the smaller stuff and the 28” would be a better jump than 24’. Is consensus that 24” is good enough?

Well I don’t disagree that 24 will cut most everything, but I was thinking my 18” 346 can cut most of the smaller stuff and the 28” would be a better jump than 24’. Is consensus that 24” is good enough?
I do not and have not run a 572
But I do have 20 or so 66/72cc
Husqvarna/jonsereds saws
And have several 28" bar's available.
All mine wear is 24"
The 24" balances best and is the most economical to run when buying chains
I seldom have need of a 28"

Occasionally I get really big cookies from neighbors that have big trees taken down. Losing 4 inches off of the bar on the 24 only leaves me with 20 inches. I was thinking the 28 would be usable in that type of situation. Maybe I would be better off going with a 24” and a 32”?

Occasionally I get really big cookies from neighbors that have big trees taken down. Losing 4 inches off of the bar on the 24 only leaves me with 20 inches. I was thinking the 28 would be usable in that type of situation. Maybe I would be better off going with a 24” and a 32”?

I have never had a 28" B&C. My 32 is a bit unwieldy, but when I need it, it is great to have. The saw holds and runs the 24 great, but get a 32 or 36 for when you need the length. It will probably be a rarity.

If it were my saw, my only larger saw and I did not have a pickup bed worth of other big saws, or D009 mount bars in most every increment made- then I would choose a 28 inch bar for that 572.
Because a 28 will cut everything a 20,18,22 or 24 is capable of cutting- but will allow cutting a 48" buck cut easier than anything smaller.
To me, the weight thing does not factor in when the saw is working- only if you carry the saw a long way between cuts, or like it to sit balanced as a shelf queen.
28" bar gives good limbing reach without as much back bending.
Having said that- my own preference for saws slightly larger capacity is for 24" standard and the next step is often 36", missing the 28-30 range. In the 70cc range I tend to stick with 24" as the maximum- but I have larger saws for larger bars.
Your choice is more governed by species cut, diameter cut and bar/chain loop availability/price in your specific area, than what we might all do, or currently do.

I will take the time, if you don't mind, to ask another question.

Will the sprocket that comes with the saw also run 058?

I will take the time, if you don't mind, to ask another question.

Will the sprocket that comes with the saw also run 058?
Yes
If it were my saw, my only larger saw and I did not have a pickup bed worth of other big saws, or D009 mount bars in most every increment made- then I would choose a 28 inch bar for that 572.
Because a 28 will cut everything a 20,18,22 or 24 is capable of cutting- but will allow cutting a 48" buck cut easier than anything smaller.
To me, the weight thing does not factor in when the saw is working- only if you carry the saw a long way between cuts, or like it to sit balanced as a shelf queen.
28" bar gives good limbing reach without as much back bending.
Having said that- my own preference for saws slightly larger capacity is for 24" standard and the next step is often 36", missing the 28-30 range. In the 70cc range I tend to stick with 24" as the maximum- but I have larger saws for larger bars.
Your choice is more governed by species cut, diameter cut and bar/chain loop availability/price in your specific area, than what we might all do, or currently do.
Same bar and chain combo I have 24" then 36" although I don't have any 70cc saws. My suggestion to wagz was a 24 and 32 for his set up. A 20" on a modern ported 70cc saw is a waste of saw. Can always cut smaller stuff with longer bars, kinda hard to cut something really big with a 20" bar. Also my personal preference is to make as few cuts as possible. So having a "short" and long bar combo makes sense. Wagz can attest I have some big rounds sitting in the drive way. Takes ages to cut with a 20 or 24" bar. Heck takes more then a pass with the 36" for the one big round I got off to the side.

I just bought a 572 Saturday. I have a 18, 24, and 32 on the way. To me this covers about everything I need.

I use to run an 18" and liked it a lot. But chains were had to find in 3/8 at that length. I sold it. Then I bought the chain rivet spinner and kinda wish I had hung on to the 18".

what bars did you buy nvr? and if you got them at a good price where?

Been buying the Windsor bars on eBay. The Carlton, the Oregon bars are good too. There cheap and older quality bars.

Food for thought, My dealer sold me semi chisel 3/8”-.058 chain for my 32” bar on my 385 xp when it was new, I never used skip chain before. I don’t notice that being much difference.

Latest posts

Back