Bar and Chain for xp 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, for ME, I rarely buck that much nonstop, when we go wood cutting, I am usually bucking and the Wife Enjoys running the splitter, so I get things set up, buck up a bunch of rounds, roll em over to her, then Buck more while she splits. I try to build a decent pile of rounds for her, then load splits in the trailer, while she works the pile of rounds. Buck, roll, load splits, buck, roll, load splits, buck, roll, load splits;)

She did watch me limbing one day, and said I can do that, and grabbed the little 23Compact, did some limbing and decided that she wanted her OWN saw, so she got a Husky 445 for Christmas, which I felt was the best Price/Power/Weight balance for her, she is anxious to try it out, Wood Cutting opens here on Mt. Hood April 15th, doubtful that the snow is going to cooperate that early this year though.

Doug :cheers:

I will admit that Stihl makes a Great saw too, but I just don't know anything about each particular saw, especially their numbering, generally the bigger the #, the Bigger the saw, and at some point they moved the "0" from the beginning of the # to the end, color of the handles had some significance(Pro vs Homeowner), but not consistent from what I have read.

I can't advise you on Stihls, but there are many on here who can advise you about the SECOND BEST saw on the market;):)

With the 550, MY suggestion would be something in the 70cc class, in Husky, the 372XP has an Excellent reputation.

I Like my Huskys, and Husky makes a saw for any need that I have, so I have stuck with them, and haven't regretted it.

But, as I have mentioned before, if I had for some unfortunate reason, to replace ALL my saws, I would consider Stihl, simply because their dealer support is so much better in my area, and they DO make a Great saw.

I do t even know how I’m gonna move these big ass 34”d stuff. Guess I need a piece of equipment!

If you were me would you do an 18” or 20” bar? I’m just gonna have to figure out a better plan for the stuff 24” and up. I’ve got all the equipment in my basket I line just need to decide in 18 or 20 and I hope to get this stuff ordered up tonight. Decisions decisions

Everything is stacked into 3 huge piles each 40’ long. Limbed and everything. Just the trunks.

If you were me would you do an 18” or 20” bar? I’m just gonna have to figure out a better plan for the stuff 24” and up. I’ve got all the equipment in my basket I line just need to decide in 18 or 20 and I hope to get this stuff ordered up tonight. Decisions decisions

It sounds like you are mainly doing softwoods, you could probably get by with a 20", if you were doing a lot of Oak, I would say no bigger than 18".

How much in the 30+" size do you expect to cut in the future? Over 30" you are getting big even for a 70cc class saw, if you are doing a lot of it, not too much a 70cc with a 24-28" B&C would be adequate.

a little top handle can wait, but you would probably be surprised just how much use it would get, if you had one, a 50cc/70cc 2 saw plan, is a very popular one.

Doug

I don’t plan on doing anything over 18” after this go around. That’s why I bought the 550...thinking about just tending the property and firewood for the next 15 years maybe a bit of clearing but nothing over 18” for sure. But I bought the saw before these big trees were fell. And I didn’t know they would be so big.

Everything is stacked into 3 huge piles each 40’ long. Limbed and everything. Just the trunks.

not seeing your piles, BE CAREFUL, are you able to move logs off the piles?

If you have to cut in a pile, be VERY careful, and aware of where your bar tip is, if you hook the upper end quadrant of the tip on a log beyond the one you are cutting, you can get a very dangerous kick back, ALWAYS Visualize where that bar tip is, and don't catch that danger zone on it, that saw can kick back faster than you will know what happened, and that can end very badly.

Doug

Doug. Awesome last post thanks! I don’t have a way to move things around yet. Thinking of getting a cant hook at the minimum.

Damn, I wish that you were a bit closer, so I could give you a hand, just curious, what part of Seattle area are you in? Looking at your avatar, if in Washington, I would say that looks more like the Ritzville area, than the Puget Sound region;)

lol...Maple Valley Wa. The pic is from a ride in Eastern WA....no trees.

I am a truck driver, years ago I delivered supplies to the Burger Kings in Auburn, Covington, and Enumclaw, among other places.
When I first looked at your avatar I thought RITZVILLE, do you remember where you took that pic?, I also did central and eastern WA, for many years, Yakima, Wenatchee, Omak and Spokane were regular runs.

I am a truck driver, years ago I delivered supplies to the Burger Kings in Auburn, Covington, and Enumclaw, among other places.
When I first looked at your avatar I thought RITZVILLE, do you remember where you took that pic?, I also did central and eastern WA, for many years, Yakima, Wenatchee, Omak and Spokane were regular runs.

It might actually BE Ritzville. North of I-90 headed to Spokane on the backcountry highways. I think somewhere near Ephrata....

Doug. Awesome last post thanks! I don’t have a way to move things around yet. Thinking of getting a cant hook at the minimum.
You certainly won't regret a cant hook. Maybe get a chain or tow strap and drag them off. Cutting on a pile is a major PITA and hazardous.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

20” Oregon pro-am bar on my 550xp.
Oregon bpx chain.

This was a tough old beech that fell last year and 30” (at least) at the base.

Saw is definitely much happier with a 15” bar though :)

Attachments

• 8D845822-A9C0-486A-B02D-C44E4C46549E.jpeg
    8D845822-A9C0-486A-B02D-C44E4C46549E.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back