bar and chain gauge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothykamp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a stihl 290 with a 16" bar and chain. I am looking to upgrade to a larger bar (20"). What type of chain should I buy? I have used low kickback, and I dont know what the difference between low and regular is. I cut a lot of oak and hickory (green) and split it for firewood. I occasionally find myself maxing out the saw (cutting like 2ft or 3ft logs) when I cut up a trunk of a big oak. I am looking for the fastest cut possible, yet I would like to be able to sharpen the blade with a file. any suggestions

thanks

Look for som RM or RSC chain, the reduced kickback is a bit of a misnomer, and I find I hav better control and a lot less vibration with the increased kickback chain. If you feel confident, and it seems like you have done a lot of cutting with it, I would find some RM or RSC, easy to file and cuts much nicer!! You will hear of the Stihl being called yellow tag or sticher, that is the better chain.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Look for som RM or RSC chain, the reduced kickback is a bit of a misnomer, and I find I hav better control and a lot less vibration with the increased kickback chain. If you feel confident, and it seems like you have done a lot of cutting with it, I would find some RM or RSC, easy to file and cuts much nicer!! You will hear of the Stihl being called yellow tag or sticher, that is the better chain.
Andy
Right!
RSC is very nice, but keep at least one RM/RMC for use in dirty wood! :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

The only difference between RM and RMC is that the RMC has an anti-vibe chasiss, as has the RSC ande RSC3.
The feature is copied from Oregon LP, VP, BP etc, after Oregons patent went out.....

Latest posts

Back