bar and chain oil special question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootall521

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anybody have a preference on bar and chain oil. One of the major suppliers has it on sell till christmas but have never used the brand they have. or is one as good as the other thanks

Run a search on Bar oil and there's LOTS of info.

There really isn't any "Bad" Bar oil except for "DO-IT brand winter weight".

Are you looking at the Menards house brand stuff for 9 Bucks?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

bar oil meh...imo there all pretty much the same except for the winter/summer difference.

After the stratospheric price rise 2 1/2-3 years ago from the dealer I've stocked up with about 15 gallons of TSC and WalMart brand. Every time the price goes down I buy another case.

Title this confessions from a heathen.

For years I used to pour anything that felt greasy into the oil tank on my Stihls. Generally speaking if there was any laying around I'd use motor oil. That could mean anything from Penzoil to Rotella. If motor oil - new - was not available I'd use used motor oil, no strainin' no nuttin. For a spell last year I was using up a bunch of quart jugs of 2-stroke outboard oil that I had laying around. All of this stuff worked. Never had a bit of problem with any of it. Not all that long ago I was gathering up stuff to go cut and couldn't find any oil so I went to the hardware store and bought my first jug of "Bar Oil". The stuff they sell is bottled by Poulan and goes for a little over seven bucks a gallon.

When you pour the stuff our of the jug it seems plain as day what it is. The stuff appears to be recycled motor oil with some STP mixed in with it. I figure this isn't the sort of oil that is formulated by mad scientists in hidden laboratories with the resulting formulations the stuff of spy novels. More likely its a way to pinch every single penny out of excess stock at a refinery somewhere.

So my thoughts on oil are this - it don't matter much. However I do think that it makes a mighty big difference if you keep the grove on your bar clean and more importantly keep the oiling channel in the bar (Stihl) clean and free of debris so that what oil as is in there can actually make it to the bar/chain.

I have ALWAYS used Stihl oil, but found REALLY good

bar and chain oil over at Cenex for $10/gal. Its red and tacks and strings like nobody's business. I almost have to use a scissors to break the string between the jug and the tank!!! Will stick with this as long as it is available. I can turn the oiler down a little.

Title this confessions from a heathen.

X2 here, IMO the only bad bar oil is used motor oil or other contaminated oils for obvious reasons. Keep your chains sharp and some kind of clean oil in the tank, that's more important than whats in the bar oil tank.

For all of my years I have used whatever clean oil was around and cheap, my bars last a boring long time and the chains are thrown away when the cutters are filed away so whats to gain from other bar oil? Most of the time the cheapest oil you can buy retail is regular bar oil if you buy from TSC, Wally marts etc. I have a 55 drum of ISO 68 gear oil that I bought at a cold farm auction 15 years ago for $50 that has been the base of my "bar oil" ever since, add some thick oil to it on hot days, some thin on cold, nothing when it is moderate out.

I have a 55 drum of ISO 68 gear oil that I bought at a cold farm auction 15 years ago for $50 that has been the base of my "bar oil" ever since, add some thick oil to it on hot days, some thin on cold, nothing when it is moderate out.

Same here, I have been using your standard 90w gear oil for ever in my saws. I use that mostly because I can get it for a good price (free). Smells a little funky but works great. I have also used any other oil I had lying around in a pinch. Never did use, used motor oil, it has always been new oil of some kind. Works for me.

I can't believe what some of you pay for bar oil, I have never paid more than about $3 per gallon.

Latest posts

Back