Bar and chain question for s Jonesred 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be just because the front stud is further forward on the large mount, so the slot needs to be longer.
I know you are the man with the facts so here is a question. I was looking at the Oregon website and according to their chart a 2171 with a 3/8 by 7 pin spur requires a .063 gauge chain. Is this this true, Super Troll? I really want use this saw as my big firewood saw. I am looking for a good 20 inch bar with a replaceable sprocket nose unless you all think a 2171 can really SPIN a 24 inch bar and full comp chain. Help please?

I know you are the man with the facts so here is a question. I was looking at the Oregon website and according to their chart a 2171 with a 3/8 by 7 pin spur requires a .063 gauge chain. Is this this true, Super Troll? I really want use this saw as my big firewood saw. I am looking for a good 20 inch bar with a replaceable sprocket nose unless you all think a 2171 can really SPIN a 24 inch bar and full comp chain. Help please?

True? Of course it is if the bar is .063, but it is of course not the only option.

A 24" is fine on the 2171, but I like a 20" better - specially regarding the balanse of the saw.

I don't understand howa spur sprocket became an option though, doesn't make any sense at all, and a rim setup is standard on those saws of course.

That saw is the same as a 372xp, and it has a standard seven tooth rim sprocket. Any large mount Husky bar should fit fine. I ran a 20" and a 24" bar on it and it has no problem pulling either one. You can even go to a 28", and it will balance okay with a lightweight bar, but I prefer the 24". I ran .050, but you can get 3/8 in .058 and .063 also.

The Husqvarna chain you have marked 48 is a 3/8 chain. Whether your bar is small mount or large mount, the 20" bars should take a 72 drive link chain. You need to be sure the gauge and pitch of your chain match. A 2171 will handle a 20 or 24"bar just fine with full comp 3/8 chain.

That saw is the same as a 372xp, and it has a standard seven tooth rim sprocket. Any large mount Husky bar should fit fine. I ran a 20" and a 24" bar on it and it has no problem pulling either one. You can even go to a 28", and it will balance okay with a lightweight bar, but I prefer the 24". I ran .050, but you can get 3/8 in .058 and .063 also.
I think I might know where I can get a new Husky 24 inch bar. I leaning toward a 20 inch but the closes one is a hour away.

Latest posts

Back