Bar and Chain Reccomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmccord

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to posting on the site. I have always enjoyed cutting wood and working with chainsaws. I have both a Stihl and a new Husky 455 Rancher. I am looking for advice for the Husky. I am already running Stihl chains. What bar would you reccomend for use on this saw? I am running a 20 inch bar on it. Also, what do you find to be the best chains out there? I am using it mostly for land clearing and cutting firewood. Thanks!

On the 455 Rancher, I'd stick to an 18" bar max with full comp chain.

:agree2: The Rancher In my opinion is not a hard use saw. Fine for what you may be going to use it for. Had one in the stable and it couldn't hang with the other Huskys or the Stihls for work with out repair. Bearings left in a hurry. Good luck.

:agree2: 18 to 20" max, on a 455Rancher - any more bar than that - and you just won't be happy with the performace of that saw!!

I have run a 460Rancher with a 24" bar - and it was just TOO much for the saw.... I would say 18" - and that thing should rip! :cheers:

Hey everyone. I am new to posting on the site. I have always enjoyed cutting wood and working with chainsaws. I have both a Stihl and a new Husky 455 Rancher. I am looking for advice for the Husky. I am already running Stihl chains. What bar would you reccomend for use on this saw? I am running a 20 inch bar on it. Also, what do you find to be the best chains out there? I am using it mostly for land clearing and cutting firewood. Thanks!

My BIL has a 55 Rancher, runs 18" full chisel with good results.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely won't go above a 20" bar. What type of bar do you run? I have been looking into purchasing a GB Bar. I am just not sure what type of bar is best. I am also in the process of trying some different chains to see which is most durable. I have found the stihl chains far outlast the Husky chains.

Yes, or 16" - not much power there.....

....but that doesn't make sence either, as the saw is way too heavy for that set-up......

In case that was less than clear - get rid of that saw!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely won't go above a 20" bar. What type of bar do you run? I have been looking into purchasing a GB Bar. I am just not sure what type of bar is best. I am also in the process of trying some different chains to see which is most durable. I have found the stihl chains far outlast the Husky chains.

I've found the stock Husky chains (which are supposedly Oregon) are soft as butter, but Oregon chain spun from a reel is good. The best bang for the buck is probably Woodland Pro from Bailey's, it's not quite as good as Stihl but way cheaper. As far as bars go, most are OK, just don't get a Forester or anything else that's made in China. Go for a "solid" (not laminated) bar. My favorite bar is Sugihara, which you can get off of Ebay in 18" for that saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back