Bar & Chain Problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just had my first try at milling and started big.

I felled a 36" white oak and had at it with a 288xp with a 33" bar and a 30" granberg with an aux oiler and a helper handle. First cut went fine but then it got too wide, I could not roll it and I didn't have a mini mill to get the sides off. So I tried to cut the sides off freehand and did ok. I am fine with the cuts actually but I think the bar and or chain may have suffered. I think that I was putting some pressure on the bar and it got hot enough for the chain to get tight. I stopped right away and loosened it and let it cool. I went on to mill 5 boards 20" plus wide by 10ft and was really pleased. Real pleased to the point that I can't wait to do it again. The only thing I am worried about is the chain now seems to stick in the bar a little when you try to pull it straight out. It runs in the bar fine but sticks as I say.

Do you think I have something to worry about? Is there a cheap fix if so? I don't want to buy another bar.

BTW. The bar didn't get hot enough to discolor.

Again, I can see why people get hooked on this. The potential has got to be huge if you start thinking about what you could build.

Thank you,

John

I think that I was putting some pressure on the bar and it got hot enough for the chain to get tight. I stopped right away and loosened it and let it cool. I went on to mill 5 boards 20" plus wide by 10ft and was really pleased. Real pleased to the point that I can't wait to do it again. The only thing I am worried about is the chain now seems to stick in the bar a little when you try to pull it straight out. It runs in the bar fine but sticks as I say.

If you start off with a cold saw the chain should get looser not tighter as it warms up. If you are thinking about the chain drivers expanding and jamming in the bar groove the amount of expansion in this direction is just not enough unless you have pinched the bar.

As Tomtrees says you have either bent the bar, or you have pinched the bar groove in the process. Pinched bar groove can be spread but you have to be very careful or the groove lips will chip

Latest posts

Back