Bar dresser?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most used bar i bought 15ish years ago.
Never check **** it keeps cutting seems to cut decently straight if i do my part. Pretty sure at the rate i cut itl last forever.
It is showing some tip wear or just back from tip from loose chain

Those generic green bar dressing tools off ebay and amazon are good?
I bought one. Meh. The file is cheap Chinese. Doesn't seem to take off much material. Might just be me, but I find it difficult to keep it sitting square on the bar as I pull it. I don't work on bars often. Will probably just use belt sander and flat file in the future.

I bought one. Meh. The file is cheap Chinese. Doesn't seem to take off much material. Might just be me, but I find it difficult to keep it sitting square on the bar as I pull it. I don't work on bars often. Will probably just use belt sander and flat file in the future.
Should have bought a good one.

I will typically dress 10-20 bars each month and the unit from Baileys works fine. The wheels they offer and not very good so I modified mine to accept a standard 4" cup type wheel. The wheels now last me 1-2 years as compared to 20-30 bars with the brown Baileys wheels.

20191024_140138.jpg

20220119_173250.jpg

If I needed to do more bars, bigger bars, or more big, old hardnose bars I'd go back to the 10" sanding disc in the tablesaw if cleaning out the sawdust wasn't such a chore.

DSCN0098.jpg

Mark

Who uses one of these to be able to give real world feedback? I've just been using a flat file to take off any lip that forms on the edges of my bars. Wondering if a dedicated bar dressing tool is that much better. Thanks.
I use a bar dresser from Pferd that works really well for me. It is much easier to use than a file. It does a really good job, keeps the edges even, and will take off the lip when turned sideways. I used a file for a while before I went to the dresser.

Latest posts

Back