• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Bar for Husqvarna 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested in a quality Sugihara or Total Super or similar, Canon, etc. for a 288xp, large Husqvarna mount. Same bars otherwise labeled are O.K. also such as Jonsered-labeled bars of the same design and manufacture.

I have used a 24-in on this saw, and would consider anything between 24 and about 28 inch.

Image from another post on this site shown below:

1687262088467.png

I think I want to stay with 0.058 guage.
3/8 pitch nose sprocket

Also interested in chain for same, full chisel round or square ground.

https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/BMP/17?OpenDocumentOregon D009 mount? 9.5mm slot.

I am in KY near Frankfort/Lexington

Thank you.

Yeah, step up from 24" to 42" a bit much for me...

390 balances perfectly with a 32", for my frame, and isn't too awkward with a 42", just heavy.

I didn't think I'd need over 28" of bar, either. Then a client called asking me to cut a 40" dying madrone. After the first tank or two you realize it's not as big a deal as it seems. You want to be able to power through; I prefer cutting from one side, if possible, in those instances.

But if you KNOW there's no chance of being in wood that big, don't bother.

390 balances perfectly with a 32", for my frame, and isn't too awkward with a 42", just heavy.

I didn't think I'd need over 28" of bar, either. Then a client called asking me to cut a 40" dying madrone. After the first tank or two you realize it's not as big a deal as it seems. You want to be able to power through; I prefer cutting from one side, if possible, in those instances.

But if you KNOW there's no chance of being in wood that big, don't bother.
All cut with a 24"

1687298712985.png

Nice.

For reference, I'm not saying you can't cut trees twice the size of bar length or slightly larger with a smaller bar. Just my preference for doing big trees and rounds. And a peavey (or two) and a stout rockbar.
I do not disagree at all, they have their place. I just do not need a long bar much. I have a 72" for the 3120 but it is just for poops and squirts. I sold most all my 60" Stihl bars. I had a sweet 60" Cannon but I knew I would not use it

I am sorry to waste people's time.
I found a new .050 chain I forgot I had, and new sprocket. I am going to try to milk more out of my old bar for now. My old chain was shot.
Thanks for the help.
I think I will go with a .058 bar next time because I like that on one of my other saws.

I am sorry to waste people's time.
I found a new .050 chain I forgot I had, and new sprocket. I am going to try to milk more out of my old bar for now. My old chain was shot.
Thanks for the help.
I think I will go with a .058 bar next time because I like that on one of my other saws.

You're not wasting our time, I don't think.

Do you dress the tops of your rails?

You're not wasting our time, I don't think.

Do you dress the tops of your rails?

Yes, I filed the tops of my rails flat before installing the the new chain.
The rail grooves may be worn a little sloppy but not too badly.

The old chain had fallen off at some point and it damaged the drive links. I had filed nicks and burrs from the drive links to repair the dings, on the sides of the drive links, so some of the drive links were too narrow. This caused the chain to rock sideways in the bar groove. The cutting portion of the chain was shot, the sprocket was shot.

The new chain and sprocket seems to work better for now.

Hey can anyone help me locate a full wrap for my 288xp? I cut wood all year and it would be a nice improvement. Please let me know. Thanks for any help guys!

Back