Bar for MS 271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyteacher

Reaction score
I have a 20" bar on my Stihl MS 271, with a Granberg Alaskan Mill. This combo barely allows me to set the mill 16" wide (not deep), and I've had to babysit the nose-end clamp. I need about another inch so I can use my extension ladder as a guide. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

This probably isn't what you're going to want to hear, but that saw is a poor choice (IMHO) for milling logs. A 50cc plastic clamshell cased saw is drastically underpowered for the task, and you'll almost definitely overheat and burn up the saw.

That saw should only run a 20" bar for cutting against the wood grain and even then its under powered and barely oils enough. You need a bigger power head that really puts out a lot of oil with a easily removeable cylinder to service the piston/rings/cylinder as needed.

Whilst I agree with the previous comments about the saw being under spec'd...
You may get that extra inch by drilling out the center of the nose sprocket & attaching there with a bolt.
You can also take a bit of the load of the saw by converting it to 3/8 lo-pro but this would likely require significant effort & expense.
Getting enough oil out of that saw for milling is always going to be an issue.

I have a 20" bar on my Stihl MS 271, with a Granberg Alaskan Mill. This combo barely allows me to set the mill 16" wide (not deep), and I've had to babysit the nose-end clamp. I need about another inch so I can use my extension ladder as a guide. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Thats an ACE hardware saw being told to work too hard. Thats also why they/ACE are always looking for 20-something young guys. Who want to work too hard.
The ones who don't mow lawns, or wash cars for $...those kids, they are expected to sell to some guy who wants to mill lumber, out of a hardware store display....its a boomerang

I have never actually used a chainsaw mill,but have ripped a few boards out freehanded.It is a slow go,and if you watch some youtube videos,you will see 80cc saws struggle.But to answer your question,Cannon can make almost any size bar for almost any saw.Maybe go with a 22" with a ripping chain.Again,you are going to cook your saw if you try milling many boards.

Latest posts

Back