Bar for PS-421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit surpriced that bar works on the 420 etc, and also that it is not listed by Baileys to work on the small mount Stihl saws.

It is listed (by Baileys) as a C1 mount, and as far as I know the C1 is for small Husky (K095) and small Stihl (3005) Mount, but not the K041 that the Dolmars are supposed to use? :confused:
I used their bar selector on Bailey's website and it indicated that bar would fit. I have not received the bar yet as it is on backorder, so no chance to physically check it.

I've been looking for a better bar for my 421 also and have come up empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the Pro 91 16" Bar side by side with the Dolmar (Oregon Double Guard).

75-80% of the PS-420 & PS-421 we've sold are setup on 16" .325 Prolite Bar & 20LPX/BPX Chain

2014-11-19-23-58-16-jpg.380743
2014-11-19 23.59.40.jpg 2014-11-19 23.59.07.jpg
2014-11-20 00.00.01.jpg
2014-11-20 00.00.15.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-11-19 23.58.16.jpg
    2014-11-19 23.58.16.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 160

Attachments

• stihl16inchbarscrnsnip.jpg
    stihl16inchbarscrnsnip.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 15
At one time Baileys had "Tiger" branded 16" laminate bars with a loop of 56DL Carlton lo pro for about $12 - they are 9T tips I believe. I bought 3 of them and they work great. On my small RedMax saws they work better with 57DL (the tail profile was a little fatter), but they're fine on the Poulans with 56.

I do agree that I like the wider tip bars much better.

On the other hand, a 42cc saw ought to be able to pull an 18" lo pro bar just fine.

On my small RedMax saws they work better with 57DL (the tail profile was a little fatter), but they're fine on the Poulans with 56.
For me it makes no difference the saw, the limiting factor is the bar end touching the sprocket. Modify the slot, adjuster engagement area, and or oil input as needed. One drive link moves the bar 0.367" If you hang the sprocket on a hook put the chain around it and hang the bar inside the chain loop then decide what you like.

For me it makes no difference the saw, the limiting factor is the bar end touching the sprocket. Modify the slot, adjuster engagement area, and or oil input as needed. One drive link moves the bar 0.367" If you hang the sprocket on a hook put the chain around it and hang the bar inside the chain loop then decide what you like.
Yes, I understand how that works - 56DL worked with the bar, but the tail was a bit closer to the sprocket and the chain made some noise coming over the back corner of the bar. With 57DL the bar was further out and the angle not quite as steep.

So if I decided I want to convert to .325 does anyone have the part numbers handy for the rim conversion?

If any one is curious I have had this saw destroy two different chains now by throwing the chain and grinding up the drive links. Research has shown that this is common with the 420-421 due to the theory the 3/8 lo pro is too weak for the saw.

I've heard that but have tons of hours on mine with 3/8lp and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure but I have had it sling the chain several times now and I'm 100% positive it was properly adjusted because I check it every time prior to startup. Almost all the times it was in an upcut and this was with the stock chain and a loop of 91VXL.

Latest posts

Back